Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shopping
Hop To Forums   Where Can I Find It?
  cool pools episode, man-made pond
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cool pools episode, man-made pond Sign In/Join 
posted
We are interested in finding out more information about the man-made pond that was featured on the latest episode of Cool Pools. We are especially interested in the "bacteria rocks" that were used as part of the cleaning system. We liked the pond idea, too, because the water would not have to be drained every winter. I'm not having very good luck with finding information online, so would appreciate any advice.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
gee i'd like to hear about those rocks myself!

we started with a kit about 10 years ago from sams club! (have never seen it offered since) but all the pieces the upper and lower plastic ponds are at the big 2 box stores...we have a filter (not so great) a circulation gizmo for a tiny waterfall...and we've had a bubbler...we started with the pond then one vacation came home to NO fish! seems a blue heron decided he wanted ours!(we buy $1 or less gold fish and they are amazing..in no time look like koi!

that lead to a picture from sunset magazine, which we copied to cover the fish (tall enough to look like a small gazebo) it got to hard to bring the fish in...we visited a local garden center and found floating pond heaters (we're in se mi) we actually still have the circulation going although the top does partly freeze...we also made a mesh cover for the fall/winter, to keep out leaves...

have had a frog or 2 take up residence once in a great while but haven't had any other critters...

Posts: 8483 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
hey did a quick search (couldn't find bacteria rocks) but did find this article...

http://www.simikoi.com/subcat197.html

Posts: 8483 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post