Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue, blue, blue Sign In/Join 
posted
Just got the new catalogs from Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma and both are featuring lots of blues. I love blue so I hope that this is a new trend. Anyone else notice this?

Posts: 3193 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't noticed the places you mentioned but I guess I am different....there will never be a blue wall in my house.....it is such a depressing color to me. My DIL loves blue. I like touches of dark navy blue (my leather chairs in the FM are navy blue) but not the light baby blue for the walls.

love life

Posts: 1516 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Yes, I too have noticed this trend tho the only blues I would personally consider are warm, tropical families. Then again, I am not one to jump on trends. If you are a fan of blue in your home, this is the time to shop however, but do not opt for short term designer blues. Instead, stick with the classic blues such as navy (I noticed denim blues are trending)and feel free to scatter an accent or two to liven things up or go monochromatic adding prints, textures and solids in crisp white. Do factor in your room's lighting, flooring, trim and furnishings when selecting the perfect blue.

Posts: 18688 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I do have a master bedroom with dark blue decor and I love the dark, peaceful, coolness of it in summer...hate it right now in winter. Unfortunately, I spent way too much on the curtains and will have to live with them awhile Frown

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen even more blue in Crate and Barrel accessories, so I think it's a go. I don't like lots of navy blue, I couldn't have a navy wall, etc. I prefer medium blues. It will be interesting to see what develops.

Posts: 3193 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like medium blue or "true blue". I love dark navy and I'm particularly fond of blues that are on the green side such as robin's egg.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dupann15
posted Hide Post
Favorite blue is Benjamin Moore's philipsburg blue. It's from the historical collection. It only works as an accent in a room that gets a lot of light. Have gotten tons of compliments.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I think the indigo blue paired with crisp white, as shown in the catalogs, is a welcome return to a classic color palette, with a touch of Chinoiserie. It always looks fresh.

A new/old way to mix the indigo is with bold turquoise. Or, even bold orange.

We are also seeing navy with gold or brass accents. Awesome.

It's too bad DH is not crazy about this color scheme; otherwise I would lavish blue and white all over my home, just like designer Barclay Butera's home, shown here.

Posts: 5292 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You can always warm cool blue spaces with warm accents. Depending on the blue, yellows/golds, citrus greens, oranges/clay, certain browns, reds/burgundy can become welcome accents. To further add warmth, opt for cozy textures during cooler seasons such as suede, corduroy, velvet, fur, chenille, flannel, wool, etc. Bumping up warm lighting helps too. As has been mentioned, warmer metals such as brass, ORB, bronze, copper can bump up the "heat" too.

Posts: 18688 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love seeing blue rooms in mags. I envy any designer who can pull together a blue room without pulling their hair out. It is a really tough color to work with, IMHO. You get the wrong two blues together and its pretty disasterous.But, when done well it is really beautiful.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the past few years we tried to replace some furniture in our living room, we originally had an apricot silk couch and chairs which were upholstered in medium blue, we couldn't find much anywhere on the market. Harden and Henkel Harris didn't have anything to use and it really gets expensive to use stuff ordered separately and sent to the furniture company to use on the upholstered pieces. Hope that we can see more blue in the near future.

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I think there are certain shades of blue that are very soothing, especially for a bedroom or bathroom. Although it wouldn't be a color for me, I can find the "pretty" in it.

Posts: 975 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I had an icy powder blue room with white trim and dark brown wood furniture. Very serene. Trying to decide if that's the color I want for my bedroom again.

I do love the turquoise dinnerware Pottery Barn now has too. Is there ever too many dishes?

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, there are never too many. At least that's what I say when I get some new ones Smile

posted Hide Post
There is zero blue in my home. But if I had to go there, I could only tolerate seafoam blue or aqua blue.

Posts: 1677 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'm on the other end of this discussion. When we were looking for a home in 2003 prior to moving back to my hometown, one house had pale blue carpet throughout. It was fairly new pale blue carpet throughout. I told DH that the house was okay but that we would have to go carpet shopping before moving in. "Why? The carpet is new! We can't afford to replace a whole house full of carpet!" I went back to the car and sat in it. The realtor looked at me sitting in the car and then at him. I saw him shrug his shoulders. We drove by the house a month or two later because we'd heard that it sold. Guess what? The pale blue carpet was piled outside the house in the driveway. LOL The new owners were replacing it! I told DH "HUH!"

The house we did purchase was two years old with powder blue walls in the master bedroom, bath, and closet. There was a dark dusty blue carpet. The walls and the carpet clashed. I told DH that we had to paint. He said No. Then his BFF and wife came visiting. She said, "I like blue, but these two do not work." SEE THERE! So I painted.

Posts: 17068 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sell home decor fabrics and I can't keep anything "indigo" blue in stock.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post