Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   What's Hot / What's Not
  Mixed tile BackSplash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixed tile BackSplash Sign In/Join 
posted
When I first saw sheet tile in a mix of stone and glass I thought it was really beautiful. Now that I keep seeing all of theses exteremely busy horizontal bands wrapped around so many kitchens, I'm liking them less and less.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Same here Charles. I don't care for it anymore now. I have seen way too much...sigh

Posts: 4708 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought it made it look like the backsplash had the mumps.

Posts: 7036 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
Same here Charles. I don't care for it anymore now. I have seen way too much...sigh

Yeah, that was really fast, wasn't it? Everytime we went to Lowe's or H.D. I'd look at them and think I wanted to use them somewhere.Once I started seeing them up they lost their appeal. I think it has to do with volume. Maybe in an isolated area like just aroung the sink in a bathroom.Or like Sarah Richardson does cut into strips as a band through a neutral field. It's when I see long, wide stretches of haphazard dashes and stripes that it gives me a headache.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Horizontal bands will become "dated" before long much like wallpaper boarders have for the most part. That's my prediction anyway. My current bathroom remodeling contractor seemed quite surprised that I opted for a clean look void of a decorative band at eye level in our redone shower. This is not to say that I would not have loved a textural,architectural tile perhaps at my ceiling line or even chair rail height if the cost of such high end pieces were not so prohibitive. The mixed tile bands many are adding in their remodeled showers just don't appeal to me. Again, to each his/her own.

Posts: 18687 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I agree, looking at model homes or re-sales lately, and the clean mono-color look is definitely preferable. the mixed tiles with stripes and blobs is too personal.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
When I first saw sheet tile in a mix of stone and glass I thought it was really beautiful. Now that I keep seeing all of theses exteremely busy horizontal bands wrapped around so many kitchens, I'm liking them less and less.

For me it just depends. It depends on how much is used, the colors, the context. Like most things, sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it, depending on the exe.cution.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post