Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   What's Hot / What's Not
  HOT -HGTV'S "Politically Correct" Agenda
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOT -HGTV'S "Politically Correct" Agenda Sign In/Join 
posted
I've been PO'd at HGTV for years over the line-up of shows they have, ie: too many real estate shows, etc. But I can't keep quiet any longer about their agenda, which seems to be: The only people whose homes need remodeling, or decorating, or buying or selling are gay. I am so sick of 75% of their homeowners being gay couples, male and female alike. Ya, go ahead and call me homophobic if that makes you feel better. I'm not but you don't care, that's fine. Oh, I also believe in the 1st Amendment, sue me! I'm retired so I watch a lot of TV and especially HGTV and DIY. Show, after show, after show, in one given day, will have a gay couple as homeowners. AREN'T THERE ANY STRAIGHT COUPLES OUT THERE THAT NEED REMODELING OR DECORATING HELP?

To prove my point that they have an agenda, they have cancelled (before it even got started) a show called "Flip It Forward" with twin brothers, Jason and David Benham, just because they live their lives as Christians and have a different view than HGTV(not because their not qualified to do the jobs). To me that makes HGTV Straightaphobic and Christianaphobic. I'm sick of the double standard and these networks getting away with it. HGTV will probably not allow this to be posted. At least, I'll know they read it if it's not posted or pulled. Here's a link to an article about this: http://www.theblaze.com/storie...-and-abortion-views/

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am soooo with you on this one. For gays only being like 3 percent of the population, they are overly represented on TV completely, and for HGTV to fire these guys for their own beliefs is too much for me. I am DONE with HGTV and will encourage my friends to leave it too and will watch the gay guys on Bravo's NYC and LA property shows until they too decide to silence people who don't believe the same way they do. Just awful.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Norco, CA | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only homophobic, but p*ss poor witnesses for Christianity--both of you.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So disappointed that HGTV caved to the PC police. Not Christian and not homophobic but pro free speech. Gays expect tolerance but do not extend that courtesy to others. I will not be watching HGTV or buying their products.

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Businessmen are not into free speech when it comes to protecting their brand.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'protection of their brand' is going to lose them business. Their choice. Too bad because they have many good products, but nothing I can't find elsewhere.

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, they've been going downhill for years now if you poll the regulars on these boards.

posted Hide Post
I agree alot with Moodyjudy! She brought up a few very good points that I never thought of. One is, what these twins do on their own time is their business, not HGTV'S! ALSO, it appears that HGTV is straightophobic & antichristian. Which really makes me disappointed and sad.

Posts: 5 | Location: United States | Registered: May 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually it is not at all uncommon to have a "morals" clause in a business contract that can cover what an employee does on his own time. If HGTV does not wish to associate with these two brothers brand of Christianity, that doesn't mean they are anti-Christian. After all, Baptists believe that Catholics are going to h ell no matter how religious they are. Which of them is wrong???? Is one antichristian? The brothers have made their views public and HGTV does not wish to have them as part of their brand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

posted Hide Post
In the interview of the Twin brothers, they stated that when they first spoke with HGTV about this new tv show, HGTV understood what their beliefs were, etc.. So it should be no surprise to HGTV, that David and Jason decided to voice their opinion and to stand up for what they believe in. If there isn't a moral clause in their contract, hopefully there's hope for some kind of compensation for these guysSmile

Posts: 5 | Location: United States | Registered: May 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BBC, are you prepared to believe everything these guys have to say on the matter? It isn't as though they are impartial or on the sidelines. It doesn't make much sense to me that HGTV knew what their views were, signed them up anyway, and then decided to risk just such a controversy as has occurred by dumping them. It makes more sense to me that HGTV dropped the ball right from the get-go by not doing their homework beforehand.

posted Hide Post
Hi. I guess we will never know who is actually telling the truth. I get frustrated when a network gets so upset with somebody who voices their views, even though they don't agree with it. We all have the right to express our opinions, right?! 1st Amendment. If their was something in their contract that specified rules on this sort of thing, then it's fair game I guess. Same thing happened to Duck Dynasty and Paula Deen. There's a pattern here, right?! It seems, from past experiences, that as long as you're for gay marriage and abortions, then that will be accepted. That is so SAD.

posted Hide Post
BBC, the first amendment grants you freedom of speech so far as speaking out against the government. It certainly doesn't require your employer to provide you with a platform to voice views with which your employer disagrees. And if it is your employer who provides you with the audience for your views, your employer has every right to protect his brand by firing your a@s. It is a fact that the majority of Americans support the right to choose, and if they haven't yet gotten to a majority supporting equality for gays in all areas of life, then it won't be long. And by the way, I am a 65-year old white woman from the Deep South, so don't tell me that old dogs can't learn new tricks. We can all evolve.

posted Hide Post
Hi. How can your employer fire you if you are off company time? Unless you're doing something "illegal ", like ****s, etc. then HGTV had no business getting involved in their personal life, "unless," there was something in their contract about not being able to talk about the things they did. Unfortunately, there isn't a union to help the Benham's out. I'm so glad I have a union for protection from companies, like this one, that can do what ever they want to!

posted Hide Post
BBC, we agree on one thing! I am a big fan of unions. But let me ask you something. If a pastor does things on his off time that his congregation (as employer in the Baptist Church) disapproves of--let's say cross dressing or gambling-- should that congregation have the right to fire him? What about a politician? And obviously HGTV had something in the contract that let them fire these brothers or they would be suing, wouldn't they?

posted Hide Post
We don't know if they will Sue or not. To answer your question, as long as my priest or pastor wasn't doing anything illegal, then No he shouldn't be fired. Gambling, cross dressing are illegal or a sin. Either is voicing ones opinion. That's what's so great about America, is freedom of speech. At least it use to be. So many things have changed since Obama has been in office.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
What a telling post this is.....

Hypocrites abound!

Most of the gay people I know ARE Christian, and obviously you intolerant people have no idea what being Christian means. Do you also disapprove of people being born with red hair? or retardation? or black skin?

Sheesh...if I was that much of a big.ot I wouldn't announce it. You should be hiding in some cave or under a bridge like a tr.o.ll...isn't that what you want the gays to do?

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7482 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
T r o l l is about right, zone9.
They come in all types/issues on these boards.

Posts: 9635 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, BBC, now you've hoisted your flag and shown your true colors. "Christians" such as yourself are a disgrace.

posted Hide Post
Not specificly pointing out these posters, but I did notice that since the whole Benham Bros. thing, people who have never posted before all of a sudden were on these boards acting like they were long time MB fans. I suspect that "Flip" Benham and his followers are just padding these boards with messages to make a statement. I say ignore these old fogeys and stone age thinkers.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles, it's the same sort of thing that happened when Donna Decorates Dallas aired--only ugly!

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
While all of you are ranting and raving, I have been on these boards a long time and here is what posters should know. SMS, has the most hatful postings on these boards of any posters in the past years, Charles, well, this name has popped up quite a bit with ugly name calling such as RED NECK. and the other regulars are hanging out with the real haters. There is not one word that can defend HGTV any more when it comes to Christians.

html

Posts: 2518 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
flboy, you mistake logic for hate.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
SMS, you are what you post and that is hate!

html

Posts: 2518 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radiolady
posted Hide Post
What you may not know is that a large percentage of media folks ARE homosexual, so their programming reflects that. Barry Diller and his "Velvet Mafia" called the shots. http://www.lukeford.net/essays...tents/homo_mafia.htm

Good write up and a link to an old SPY mag on that. This is why you see so much of it in TV. ANY sort of homo"phobia" is roundly criticized no matter how vague.

John 1:8

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston | Registered: Jan 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post