Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian Programs Sign In/Join 
posted
Does anyone, including HGTV Programming, know why there are so many programming hours dedicated to Canadian HGTV? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching PROPERTY BROTHERS, LOVE IT OR LIST IT, HOLMES-shows. But give American shows some time. Every other day is another two or three hours of either PROPERTY BROTHERS or LOVE IT OR LIST IT. No longer am I enjoying Saturday night with Genevive Gordan, Sabrina Soto, David or the others that made Saturday night "Must See" for me. And I won't get started on the number of hours given to HOUSE HUNTERS. Can HGTV Programming get back to CASH & CARI or one of the winners of DESIGN STAR or CURB APPEAL: THE BLOCK or GARDEN BY THE YARD? Can you give Chip Wade's show ELBOW ROOM a chance instead of burying it in daytime TV where you have to be ill to see some good shows?

I realize that shows from Canada can be cheaper to import than producing them here. They're good shows. But I want to see some design shows in the USA.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I agree about the Canadian shows. Give the shows to the USA, please!!!!

Posts: 4748 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
I agree about the Canadian shows. Give the shows to the USA, please!!!!

Really? The vast majority of HGTV programming is US-based, FWIW. What do you think House Hunters is, every hour, every day? Smile

Now, if you want BETTER US-based programming, that's another story.

Posts: 5309 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julianna76
posted Hide Post
It has to do with "cost" and union wages of the crews in the US. I think the Brothers and others, should expand to smaller cities and towns in the US. As soon as I see the price of a dumpy brick duplex, I know it's in Canada right away. I wouldn't pay 100K for some of those, let alone 550K or above.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it. Blame it on unions...FWIW, my experience of living in Canada was that they made much more money than we do in the US.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
If you notice on the closing credits they acknowledge support from the Canadian government. HGTV USA and HGTV Canada are different companies. The shows for the most part are produced by production companies not HGTV-Canada or HGTV-USA.

I believe that Property Brothers and their spin-offs and LIOLI/LIOLI-II are produced by the W network in Canada and picked up by HGTV-USA.

Aren't some of the Property Bros shows done in the USA now? And it looks to me like the Brother v. Brother show is done in California. The homes certainly have a west coast look to them. Unless BC follows the same style of construction (Spanish style/stucco) as California.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6956 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The programming supported by the Canadian government used to mean (at least to me) that there was a good chance it would be quality programming such as Colour Confidential, the various Sarah Richardson and Candice Olsen shows, etc. If the government is now supporting LIOLI or Property Bros, they have gone down hill as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post