Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else tired? Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm SICK of Holmes on whatever, crashers of yards,rooms etc., showing 24/7! Where's Design on a Dime? Especially Design on a Dime with CASEY NOBLE? Give us a break from Holmes on anything. How 'bout this? CRASH HOLMES!!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree this is another boring show that is on too much. I started watching HGTV about 10 years ago and there were so many wonderful decorating shows.
Now its all about real estate, and David Bromstead.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My objection to Holmes is that his gimmick is that YOU, the homeowner, are an ignorant fool who cannot be trusted to hire a contractor, a repairman, or buy a house on your own. I won't watch his program because the backstory is that the homeowner is stupid.

Posts: 3511 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This morning I was making a point to find the administrators of HGTV and say: WHERE ARE ALL THE DECORATING SHOWS!? I am on the west coast and the other day the program guide literally played House Hunters for 8-10 hours straight! Where is 24 Hour Design, Design on a Dime, Design to Sell!? If I see House Hunters on the guide again I am about to throw in the towel. Also, Sarah's House, I LOVE her creativity. Anyway, I was glad to see I am not the only one who has noticed HGTV has gone to all-things-real-estate.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Posters have been complaining about the programming on HGTV ever since they started dropping all of the gardening, craft and decorating shows a few years ago. Somebody must be watching the new cr*p shows because HGTV hasn't responded to the complaints with any changes. In fact, they seem to be moving even further in the direction of real estate or competition based shows as their only offerings. I wish they would just change the name of the channel.

Posts: 2027 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenqueen
posted Hide Post
Mike Holmes comes across as a know it all. He's so full of himself that I can't stand to watch him anymore.

Posts: 99 | Location: United States | Registered: Mar 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked his show briefly when it first started, but now I can't stand it. I feel that if the previous companies that did all the shady work on the homes are actually in the wrong, Holmes should be allowed to disclose their company name. If he believes in what he is standing up for then stand up and bring all facts out in the open.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since his bread and butter is finding something wrong with the work done on your house, Mike Holmes WILL find something wrong no matter what.

Posts: 3511 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heHere is another series of posts complaining about the current programming. It's frustrating to see so many people wanting more creative programming and knowing that HGTV's current trend is for more reality type real estate and crashing type programs. Obviously they've done market research and people are watching this junk, but it would be refreshing to see a network dare to be different. Or at least mix up the programming more so that there would be something for everyone. Also I think I they are short changing their demographic. A lot of young people are interested in decorating, gardening and crafting. It's new to them. Just frustrating...

Posts: 25 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
House Hunters is a complete fake.
Someone spilled the beans that she had already purchased a house when the producers of the show made her pretend to go into other houses (friends' houses that were not even for sale) and look at them.

As for Holmes, I think the man is reputable and wonderful. It's just that I can stand just so much of seeing basement repairs etc.
And yes, lots of us are innocent enough not to see the warning signs, especially when buying a new home from specs of a sample home.

I like Design Star.
I miss the show where 3 designers vie for the job. (Was it called Designer Showcase??)

And whatever happened to David Bromstad, who started out so seemingly talented and ended up loading his rooms with everything but the kitchen sink and color, color, color ad nauseam.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susan2214:
heHere is another series of posts complaining about the current programming. It's frustrating to see so many people wanting more creative programming and knowing that HGTV's current trend is for more reality type real estate and crashing type programs. Obviously they've done market research and people are watching this junk, but it would be refreshing to see a network dare to be different. Or at least mix up the programming more so that there would be something for everyone. Also I think I they are short changing their demographic. A lot of young people are interested in decorating, gardening and crafting. It's new to them. Just frustrating...

I haven't watched hgtv since they took all the gardening shows off. I used to watch design on a dime and some of the old craft shows too.

What they (the powers that be) seem to fail to realize is that once these young folks get older, they are going to want to know how to do all these things! Nothing like teaching them young!
And it is the sponsors that we all need to contact! They are the ones that say yay/nay to programs. So get your emails out to the sponsors!!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5045 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I hate that Holmes show. I can't even stand to hear his voice..

New shows HGTV, we need some new show....sigh

Posts: 4782 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unlike many posters, I like Holmes. What's not to like about someone who actually fixes the huge messes that people discover in their homes? What good does it do to decorate over crumbling foundations, black mold, asbestos and water problems? So many people don't care and just buy anything if it looks nice. We have homes that are poorly constructed because people don't demand proper workmanship and just worry about decorating.

Posts: 3248 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I do not like Holmes either.I have never watched his show but just the sight of him in his overall's makes me nauseous.

I love David B.Not only is he cute but he is very talented.I hope he sells prints of his paintings on here someday.I love him on Design Star and the All Star one that started last night.

I like House Hunters.I mostly watch it to look at the decorating inside the homes for sale.

They need to bring back Decorating Cents and Room by Room.I miss those the most.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I don't mind Holmes, but one program a week would be enough. I actually hardly ever watch HGTV any more, because the programming is so monotonous.

Posts: 7262 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
So glad to know others feel as I do about HGTV and all these shows~!!! I don't watch much anymore either, but I will check to see what's on, and it's never anything I want to see anymore.

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems we have loss HGTV to the fixers and flippers. Makes you long for Joan Steffend, Christopher Lowell and Vern Yip.

Two of the biggest problems I've always had with the fixers and flippers is 1.) the fact that they cram a month, two month job into 60 minutes or less, very misleading, and 2.) HGTV also forgot about their watchers when they brought in those rude, filthy mouthed flippers. I don't want to watch two foul mouths going at it because the drywall is not hung in time or a sub-contractor didn't show up for work.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I believe some of our designers could get sponsors of their own shows.

We "cut the cable" and are astounded by the number of programs we have available to us. However, there aren't as many design/craft shows as I would like. There are many chefs showing how to prepare their dishes. My hub isn't disappointed by them. I wish there were more of these available through livestream. Scripps, if I step on your toes...don't mean to. I just think times are 'a changing. AND laugh if you want....I have been viewing the sets on various programs to see if there is something that stands out in home design. There's always the old fashion magazines who gave them to us years before. Many ideas get recirculated after you have lived long enough.

After living in some "sad" house structure situations in my past, seeing Holmes correct others' disasters really warmed my heart. He was the Robin Hood of home repair. Unless you've lived through it, you might not appreciate his show. AND....if you were in the home industry for a short period of time without experience/knowledge in doing it correctly OR being in construction without integrity and 'getting by a fast one', you might be offended by his show. There are the programs that DO show the integrity, and people WANT their homes built like this. It's quite an investment!

Not tired, just being pushed to stretch my own creative resources.

Posts: 5235 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
PS....Christopher, didn't he start out in set design?

How did he find HIS sponsors?

LOVED watching his shows when they were available.

Joan said that she was the host. She had the designers come to her to work the rooms. There were so many wonderful designers on her program, too. I think Joan did a great job rolling up her sleeves and working with the designers. It was a nice way to get the public to figure out, a designer was the way to go. Many of us don't design. We copy ideas.

Posts: 5235 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just me, but I'm tired of Love It or List It. They both seem really mean and it seems like it's always on when I try to watch HGTV.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not interested in the behind-the-scenes work Mike Holmes takes on, but I think he's good at what he does. A lot of homes he fixes were built by fly-by-night constractors to make a quick dollar and they cut corners in both materials and competent workers. However, the average homeowner knows nothing about this and a little cosmetic touch-up to either an older home or poor contractors for new housing results in poor workmanship. Shows you really have to research a new-build and hire a good qualified house inspector before buying an older house. There are lots of unscrupulous people who make a living by flipping homes.

Posts: 746 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post