Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New color trend? Sign In/Join 
Picture of wendek
posted
I like yellow but the combo of yellow and gray really depress me and unfortunately i've seen quite a bit of it lately.

I'd rather see yellow and purple, like irises.

What's your favorite or non-favorite color trend?

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I love almost every color combo. (But, not every one would work in my home, as it is now and considering its light exposure.)

In general, I like yellow and gray. But it needs a lot of bright white or a pop of bold color like fuschia to keep it from looking gloomy.

Yellow and iris: Very fresh, especially with cool white and grass green.

Orange and navy blue. A classic, preppy look that benefits from accents of crisp white and heather grey to bring it all home.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several fabric houses have been trying to renew interest in deep spruce green.( think Kelly Werstler) Certainly not my fav. But you never know. Sometimes all it takes is a good museum retrospective or a movie with awesome sets, and your mind can be changed.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I, too, like a lot of color combos.

In my garden I like lavender, yellow, white and pink. Boring, right? In my home, I like soft color also. Not too light, but nothing dark or bright. I love pale blue with white woodwork for bedrooms.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to hate yellow but it's now my favorite accent color. I still don't like "butter" yellow but sunshine yellow is so cheerful and I really like it with gray or black.

Posts: 1055 | Registered: Nov 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yellow and gray combos (and of course ever lovin' black) are my faves especially toward the caramel color or wheat color.
I detest pale blues, bright blues and navy, kelly greens and burgundy reds but I imagine if someone were hel*bent on one of these colors, I could get around them and make them work.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I have to say, I'm not a fan of gray. I don't especially like yellow either unless it's a soft yellow. Along with those two, I don't like "primary" colors, bright blues, reds, oranges.

I guess I like neutrals and muted tones best.

And! I hope to gawd that they don't come back with the hunter green and cranberry or mauve and baby blue combos. Big Grin

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
True, i like the bright sunny yellow but the dull yellow paired with sad grey gives me a visceral dislike.

I like all the colors but apparently i don't see them very well. I think it was Aychihuahua who posted a link a while back for us to organize gradient colors in order from green to brown or blue to orange. Something like that. Most of you could see and easily got low-good and perfect scores. My score was in the hundreds. Big Grin

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wendek:
True, i like the bright sunny yellow but the dull yellow paired with sad grey gives me a visceral dislike.

I like all the colors but apparently i don't see them very well. I think it was Aychihuahua who posted a link a while back for us to organize gradient colors in order from green to brown or blue to orange. Something like that. Most of you could see and easily got low-good and perfect scores. My score was in the hundreds. Big Grin

I remember that little test - don't feel badly, I didn't score well on it either and yet I spend a large part of my working hours dealing with color for clients. Apparently I'm successful at it, regardless of the test - LOL.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no specific combo that I would like as it depends on the light and other variables that what looks good.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a color that I don't like. In my book, every color has it's place, and every color can be beautiful.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
I've never used yellow before...golds, sure, but not yellow. Now that I live in a cottage (style and size) home, I'm seriously considering yellow as a foundation color for the whole house. IMO, nothing says cottage better than yellow. It'll take some time to get there, but I want my home to scream cottage style from top to bottom.

Gray, not so much.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3681 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really don't like gray at all and I don't like colors that have gray in them. It's a depressing color for me. I do like yellow but I can see how it can be overpowering in large doses.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought peach was coming back into style again????

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
I thought peach was coming back into style again????

If it does I have a couple of obscenely expensive framed prints that I will sell. LOL

It's really funny how our tastes change so much and what might seem at first to be strange, soon becomes worthy of consideration and then acceptable.

About the time that "everyone" is using it, tho, seems that may be the time to start looking for something else.

Some colors are just destined to scream whatever era they came out of - peach/pale blue or cranberry/hunter green, things like that.

Perhaps this is one reason why so many are literally afraid of color and stick to white.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh, Doodles, you hit a nerve. Smile

White is a color. Let me repeat, white is a color. Just because you do not like it does not make it less so. There are people who elect to use white just as there are people who elect to use beige.

It is NOT wrong to use white (or beige).

Phewwww, got that out my system. Smile

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty of viewing white as a boring non-color. Recently I've been saving inspiration pics of white rooms and find that I'm so drawn to them. Using different warm shades of white in a slightly shabby chic style room just looks so serene to me. I'm loving it more with each pic I can find. I was always a color person, could never get a enough of it, but I guess I'm starting to mellow in my old age of 41...lol

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mountain, you are being sucked in by the arbiters of style. White is making a comeback because the likes of Pottery Barn, etc., are featuring white walls when merchandising their stuff. I, for one, do not intend to fall for it!!!! (Why aren't the emoticons working!!!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3535 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two of my favorite designers Thomas Pheasant and Daryl Carter have been using large quantities of whites and off whites for several years now. I don't believe it is a fad. IMO it is timeless and chic and is a great way to create a clean backdrop for furniture that has an interesting shape. While I am not a fan of "shabby chic" I do like seeing antiques upholstered in luxurious white fabrics like mohair, wool satin, and silk canvas.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles, doesn't your statement that they have been doing white for "several years" rather than their whole careers prove the point?

Posts: 3535 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two designers I mentioned have been working with large quantities of white and cream for at least ten years each. Considering that the design field is a cyclical fashion related business,that's long enough to be a staple.

A great variety of color within one home was a reaction to the all beige decorating that preceeded it. So doing alot of color is a fad.Or more correctly a "phase".I think everyone should do what they like no matter what the magazines are showing, but I had to reply to your comment about white being a merchandising ploy from retailers like PB.

All white rooms are statement rooms and are usually for the wealthy. They require a lifestyle and maintenace that is less than usual. Sucessfully done they also require fabulous furniture, good architectural bones, and brilliant artwork. I admire their clarity, and envy those designers who can edit with a sure hand. They are certainly not for everyone but a decided lack of color is a classic way to decorate.Sometimes it is popular, sometimes not, but not what I would consider a fad.

posted Hide Post
Charles, I have to admit that I have seen some of these white "statement" rooms and they are lovely, but I would suggest that the reaction against white/beige walls has also been around for longer than ten years--by your definition, a staple rather than a phase. I'm sorry the emoticons aren't working. My post sounds combative when it really isn't.

posted Hide Post
Well they don't sound combative to me. This is a big country with lots of regional styles and a population the includes every nation of the world. The variety of experiences are what make boards like this fun! The opinions expressed here from professionals, DIYer's, whatever, are passionate and heartfelt. I'd much rather be knocking around ideas and opinions than watching junk T.V. anyday.

posted Hide Post
Metwo, I suppose when I talked about people being afraid of color and opting for white out of fear, I was thinking about the numerous clients I've had who've called me to their white spaces and confessed "It's boring but I'm so afraid of making a mistake". In the words of Christopher Lowell, "It's only PAINT, folks". Men, more than women, in my experience are the ones who usually CHOOSE white.
Now, although I have seen white rooms in magazines that looked very lovely, I have to confess that I'm not a white wall lover. Perhaps I'm not sophisticated enough, IDK, but to ME (and yes, this IS just MY opinion) they usually look sterile and void of personality. Even with a colorful painting hung on them, to me it looks like the painting is hanging there waiting for something. In an art gallery, perhaps it's fine because they have to change out the artwork so often - but in my home I like warmth and color.

Picture of roniz
posted Hide Post
I love the yellow and gray combination. Yes it's very in right now and it's unisex. We just decorated our son's room with this color palette. There is some beautiful nursery wall decor to go along along with this color combination as well.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
Yellow and grey? Ick. Maybe for a sun room but I doubt I could live with it.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabyDollBundy:
Yellow and grey? Ick. Maybe for a sun room but I doubt I could live with it.

I'm glad the boards have variety, but "Ick" might have been a bad choice of words.My entire condo is variations of gray black white with gold and yellow fabric, art and accessory accents. It has balance, and clarity. It's crisp and it's masculine.

It may be how you are picturing it but when someone says gray and yellow to me, I picture a charcoal gray velvet Chesterfield with leopard throw pillos,or gray silk drapes with yellow and gray tassels or yellow country kitchen chairs with a charcoal toile.

I personally don't participate in posts if the style is out of my comfort zone and fellow posters are being asked their opinion. I don't see the point in making fun of other peoples taste.

Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
I don't have any yellow/grey color combos in my home, but my vera bradley purse is a beautiful black/white/grey & yellow. I have been finding myself drawn to clothing in the same color scheme. I think yellow is bright,fun, and lively, while the grey calms with sophistication.

Posts: 512 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Mother Nature is ALWAYS a great source of scheme inspiration. Keep in mind your furnishings, lighting, flooring, built ins, contrast and families of colors you are considering (warm or cool). I don't allow the industry to dictate what colors to use in my spaces tho some trend illustrations have definitely spun my wheels in the past. We all know that trends in anything come and go only to be revitalized down the line. The trend toward dark greens makes me laugh because that is one palette I am currently working on eliminating. Before you poo poo a color combination entirely, consider their vast families and hue values. For instance, their are golden yellows, brown mustard yellows, soft yellows, etc. etc.. Same is true for every color as well as blacks and whites.

BTW, I am open to all colors factoring in the issues I stated, but lean toward warm undertones even in sunny spaces.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like yellow and gray also. Its so pretty and matches everything. I also like a nice tan with a soft blue accent. Or you could go bold and do a navy blue.

Posts: 21 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing a lot of shades of orange (peach, salmon, true orange) in the new fabric catalogs, paired with every color in the big box of crayons.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NothingCoulBeFiner,

Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hye,
Welcome to this forum, here you can find lots of things. So, I suggest you for your question please visit this site.
------------------------------
Home Interiors Website

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post