Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   What's Hot / What's Not
  what color for ceilings?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what color for ceilings? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Missmommy
posted
I also posted this question on the Color Thread, but as I need some help asap, I thought I'd repeat it here.

What is the current trend? The lst time we painted, we painted the ceilings and the walls the same color because DH disliked white/off white ceilings. This time we have hired a painter and he says we should consider painting the ceilings white or a different color than the walls.
We are planning to put the house on the market shortly and would appreciate advice on this, asap as the painters are coming in a few days

Posts: 3362 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
It is personal preference vs trend actually. SInce you are facing resale, it is safest to keep the walls neutral such as a cream, beige, taupe to name a few and the ceilings a consistent white. This will keep your spaces a blank, clean canvas that should appeal to most buyers. The one exception could be in the case of a lofty space where you could continue the wall color or a different value. Some tint the ceiling white with a bit of the wall color so the ceiling isn't stark white, but careful measuring is essential to ensure consistent coloration. Keep in mind that most buyers will change the palette before they move in or shortly after, but your newly painted walls in neutral hues will lessen the urgency or desire to do so.

Posts: 18711 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I've read in a couple of decorating books that painting the ceiling lighter makes the room appear taller but smaller, and painting it darker makes the room seem shorter but wider. I've never put it to the test, but I guess it makes a certain amount of sense. Smile

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Hello Missmommy,

A current trend this year is to paint the ceilings, or the 5th wall, a color that is one or two shades different from the other walls. If the ceiling is 9ft or higher you should paint the ceiling one shade darker from the original wall colors to give an illusion of the ceiling being lower and making the room feel cozier. If you have ceilings that are lower than 9ft, you should paint it one or two shades lighter.

White is a good color also, but sometimes it can be a bad decision. If you paint your walls a very rich or bold color a white ceiling can distract and become the statement piece people's eyes go to which is not your intention. If you are going to go with white, choose and off white instead.

Hope the suggestion helps!

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBTrendsMag:
Hello Missmommy,

A current trend this year is to paint the ceilings, or the 5th wall, a color that is one or two shades different from the other walls. If the ceiling is 9ft or higher you should paint the ceiling one shade darker from the original wall colors to give an illusion of the ceiling being lower and making the room feel cozier. If you have ceilings that are lower than 9ft, you should paint it one or two shades lighter.

White is a good color also, but sometimes it can be a bad decision. If you paint your walls a very rich or bold color a white ceiling can distract and become the statement piece people's eyes go to which is not your intention. If you are going to go with white, choose and off white instead.

Hope the suggestion helps!

See now I have to disagree with broad blanket statements like these.The two shades lighter rule only works with lighter colors, and even neutrals can clash when dropping down two shades on the fan deck color chart.Two shades lighter than a chocolate brown can often be a sickly pink doll flesh color. If you painted your dining room red would you go two shades lighter to pink? Eggplant walls,lavender ceilings? Billiard green walls, teal ceiling? I don't think so.

Posts: 1791 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Hello Charles D,

I can see your problem with broad statements like the one I posted of going two shades lighter. A lot of time though having a problem with a general rule like this one comes from not fully understanding the meaning. You can apply the rule to any paint color, darker shades included.

If you look at the picture below, if a homeowner were to paint the walls the Stars Forever color at the bottom of the second column. Then by following the paint swatch, if the ceilings are under 9ft a suggested shade would be the Water Jet, two shades lighter. Most paints are displayed on a paint swatch with other colors that are from the same family of shades.

Picking two shades lighter does not mean if you have chocolate brown to pick a pink doll flesh color for the ceiling, because as you mentioned it would not work. The rule applies to looking at the paint swatch where the original wall color comes from and using it as your guide to pick a shade lighter or darker.

Hopefully I was able to clear up my previous post's meaning a little better!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KBTrendsMag,

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that dark vanilla is a nice colour for the walls. It is also called coffee with milk in Poland. I suggest you to consider this kind of color.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed on the lighter color ceilings. I like for example a nice blue wall with a very light blue ceiling.

Good luck with finding what you like best. Smile

------------------------------------------
Unique collections of restoration style maps for a beautiful addition to your home decor!
http://restorationmaps.com

Posts: 18 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles D nailed it. (and took the words out of my mouth)

Posts: 1705 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post