Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Gardening with Kids
  Poll - who started gardening as a child?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - who started gardening as a child? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Sparky
posted
OK, so I'm tired of seeing the same post on the top of this little used board for 3 months now.

So here is something to get rid of it.

Question:
Did your interest in gardening start in childhood or adulthood?

Choices:
Childhood age 6-12
Teen years age 13-18
Early Adulthood 18-30
Adulthood 30-65
Retirement 65+

Question:
Did your love of gardening pass on to your children when they were children or as adults?

Choices:
Yes - as children
Yes - as adults
No - they aren't interested in gardening

Question:
Are your children grown?

Choices:
Yes - out of college and on their own
Yes - But still at home
No - still in school (K-12 + College)
Kids? What kids?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Mine wasn't a choice...it was either do it or not eat.
I was raised on a dairy farm in central Ill. We raised the majority of our own foods...examples...
100 tomato plants each yr.
5 acres in corn & green beans
3/4 acre of potatoes
about 1/3 acre of strawberries
cherry trees, pear tree, gooseberries, horseradish
Neighbors had an apple tree, we traded!

And of course we planted smaller areas of lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, cabbage and other things that I've forgotten.
We canned most things including beef & pork when we butchered.

So earlier than age 6...as soon as I could hold a hoe or pull a weed and was helping grandma plant all those tomatoes when I was about 3-4!..she made the hole & put the plant in, I filled the hole with water and closed it!

My son learned as a child and gardening was one of his 4-H projects for several years. He always did well.
Neither of my grandchildren have been around gardening, however, my DGD digs in the dirt & plants stuff...I think it is in our genes!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4292 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I share this because of someone's name in this post.....We used to visit our grandmother who only had many roses in her garden-no veggies. However, we didn't stay there; we'd run to the corner house to visit "Nanny" who had the veggies & fruits in HER garden. We LOVED being able to get into her garden. Nanny wasn't a relative-just a very dear friend of the family who LOVED children and you just knew it.

Our neighbor had her LARGE garden near the "crik". She'd invite us to a meal prepared with her garden picked green beans and veggies. This is where I heard about pressure cookers.

I've always LOVED those memories of two special women who were an influence in my life.

I'm thankful to have a husband who LOVES what I bring in from our garden and loves how the pressure cooker works. It's like singing to choir to those of you who garden and cook. Smile

Posts: 5042 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trish212:
I share this because of someone's name in this post.....We used to visit our grandmother who only had many roses in her garden-no veggies. However, we didn't stay there; we'd run to the corner house to visit "Nanny" who had the veggies & fruits in HER garden. We LOVED being able to get into her garden. Nanny wasn't a relative-just a very dear friend of the family who LOVED children and you just knew it.

Our neighbor had her LARGE garden near the "crik". She'd invite us to a meal prepared with her garden picked green beans and veggies. This is where I heard about pressure cookers.

I've always LOVED those memories of two special women who were an influence in my life.

I'm thankful to have a husband who LOVES what I bring in from our garden and loves how the pressure cooker works. It's like singing to choir to those of you who garden and cook. Smile

It just doesn't get any better than fresh from the garden or put up from your own garden!

Since I'm now in a warmer area, I get to play during the winters too....I ate my first 2 radishes from my raised beds today...wiped the dirt off on my pants and ate them right there! Big Grin I'll be getting lots of them in a few more days...peas are climbing...both snap peas & shell peas, cabbage/broccoli & cauliflower are growing as are the carrots. Spinach is kind of a disappointment...not much came up and not a single lettuce came up. I have more seeds ordered, they should be here this weekend or early next week....cause all the stores around here have cleared out their veggie seeds for Christmas stuff! Roll Eyes

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4292 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We moved from a city to a almost country environment and about 1 yr later invited our daughter's friend to come out and visit us.

My hubby asked if she'd like to help him pick some veges. in the garden for supper and she was thrilled. After picking for about 10 mins. all of a sudden she yelled out loud , "I KNOW what these are--my mom buys them in cans , they're green beans!!" We still laugh at that.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenRowOrganics
posted Hide Post
My Daughter and I grow these Giant Elephant Ear plants. The seeds are the size of a grain of salt. She loves to go out everyday and water them and watch them grow. The leaves get bigger than her and she is 6 years old its a blast. I am selling some of the seeds so other families can have garden fun too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251413136143

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kyradeprez
posted Hide Post
I started to garden with my mother as soon I was big enough to pick beans and peas without destroying the plants. I now garden with my 7 year old twins, we have just started our seedlings for veggies, herbs, and flowers. They love to see the progress, and to help me with watering. They have been my helpers since they where 3 years old.

Kyra Deprez
The Boardwalk Cleaning Co
www.boardwalkcleaning.com

Posts: 5 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned at a very early age to love gardening and plants. My grandparents lived in Brooklyn, NY and their back yard was the size of a large living room. You walk back there and you would think you were in Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. He had a huge cherry tree that bore beautiful fruit, a little pond that he kept goldfish in and they grew to about a foot long! And so many beautiful flowers that he planted aroud the perimeter of his "estate".

Posts: 6 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Those elephant ears with daughter standing beneath is amazing!

I believe many of us haven't really thought until gardening until NOW. And....neighbors think we're starting too soon. It IS SPRING!

We are expanding our garden to add a child fun space to walk under to harvest veggies from the trellis. Looking forward to our grandchildrens' visits.

Just recently, I found "Kids in the Garden" program that was produced about 10 years ago in Australia. If someone needs video to present to their kids about gardening, this might do the trick. But the real trick....get their hands in the dirt, let them pick the fruits and veggies, and just enjoy gardening! You know how many kids seem excited to find "E as ter" eggs, during harvest....it's definitely "Vegetable" hunt.

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite memories....taking my children to a farmer's market that always made pumpkin harvest for local schools. However, we took our children there while the flowers were on the vines. They had the 'background' knowledge of what the plants looked like before the fall. Maybe this will be something you might want to consider this season. There are some families that DON'T have good gardening areas for their children. Making the point: Get Out There and Explore!