Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Gardening with Kids
  Moss on playhouse roof
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moss on playhouse roof Sign In/Join 
posted
i am currently designing a playhouse for my girls. The idea of growing moss on the roof has surfaced. I was going to use plywood siding for the roof. How long do you think this will hold up. Are there suggestions on other materials that might work better?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it won't hold up if not protected and will grow mold and you sure don't want your children exposed to that .Moss needs a damp some what shady area to grow .Most cover the roof with a waterproof membrane and then add a good growing medium for moss to grow on .It is usually a light weight soil with the right PH to grow in .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I agree with sissy77 that organic material on the roof is probably not a good long term solution. Trellis with vines alongside the playhouse will give you options each year. As you research building playhouses, your budget and location will affect what you end up with. Just remember, girls grow. So Playhouse not dollhouse. Ventilation, lighting and function should drive your creativity.
Great project. Have fun. And take lots of pics.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 480 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jnhem:
i am currently designing a playhouse for my girls. The idea of growing moss on the roof has surfaced. I was going to use plywood siding for the roof. How long do you think this will hold up. Are there suggestions on other materials that might work better?

Hey, you might be interested in our unique outdoor cave plans, moss would be as natural as anything with this idea > http://wealthsmith.com/cave-rock.htm

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is quite a late response but the concept of a green roof is a coming trend. Most all of the green roofs I have seen to date are quite flat rather then pitched to facilitate water runoff and that may require more structural support as well as something to protect the decking from the moisture that would be present. If your local building code would allow a green roof the building inspector most likely would require an engineering study before allowing you to do that.
Once the structural and waterproofing question have been addressed the rest of the objections listed here have not been found, where green roofs have been built, to be of concern.
http://science.howstuffworks.c...ce/green-rooftop.htm

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8155 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of phiferindia
posted Hide Post
Beter you watch youtube videos. So that you get clear idea what you want to present it ultmately.

Security shield mosquito net

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post