Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Gardening with Kids
  Forcing Bulbs for Wintertime Bouquets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forcing Bulbs for Wintertime Bouquets Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi, everyone! As Christmas gifts go, this project is a no-brainer: You put some bulbs in a container, add water, and in several weeks, you'll have a budding bouquet to give as a gift. Your kids will totally love giving homegrown flowers to a favorite teacher. Have fun!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marie Hofer, Gardening Editor,

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid there is a bit more "to it" than what was said above!

http://www.aces.edu/dept/extco...lty/force_bulbs.html

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5065 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I agree...can'd just put the bulbs in a bowl & add water...not going to work.

How deep a container? Any soil? How much? What kind? How much water? Any light requirements? Temps?

Posts: 7859 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a gardening editor says this will work, why do the others say it won't work? What else has to be done besides putting the bulbs in a container, as the picture shows? I'd love to try it and have flowers during the winter snows.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
What picture? I don't see any picture in the original starter post.

Posts: 7859 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry the picture didn't come through. It was a glass bowl filled with round flat rocks and water and 5 flower bulbs sitting in the bowl. The article indicated that winter flowers could be produced from bulbs by putting them in water - flowers like paperwhites, etc. Several comments appeared stating that it would take more than just water to cause the bulbs to grow. I just wondered why.

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Sorry grannysammi. I thought you were referring to a picture in the original post. You can't post pics here, but you can in the general gardening forum.

I've heard of some bulbs being forced in just water with pebbles or rocks, but I've never seen it done.

I'm just thinking that this is a silly forum...used to be something different & then a few months ago this kids gardening forum showed up, with absolutely no instructions...just an idea, that's why I threw out all those questions. There's no help given here at all.'Sorry again...didn't mean to confuse or upset you.

posted Hide Post
Well, thanks for the info. This is the first time I've posted anything, so my confusion is normal for me! I'm not too computer literate, so I probably tried to do something that can't be done. Typical for me! hahaha

Thanks for the replies, though.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
grannysammi, welcome to the boards.
Why not go to the General Gardening board & share you knowledge with all us other "gardeners" over there! Would love to have you! And you can post your pics over there, we would all love to see them!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5065 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
YW, grannysammi...and, welcome to the boards...ga.karen is right. Come on over to the general gardening forum...we'll be happy to welcome you there. We can share gardening stories & info & even offer some computer advice. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Thanks! I actually thought that's where I was posting to, but apparently I'm not too computer literate! I am going to try forcing bulbs in water and see if I can get flowers in the winter. Of course, I have to find the bulbs first! hahaha

Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
if you go for this, folks, here's a hint.... ya know how sometimes they grow leaves that are SO TALL that they end up flopping over?... well, if you add a teaspoon of vodka to the water/or any other clear likker!/it stunts the growth enough that they don't grow so tall... still bloom just dandy, tho.....

https://www.google.com/#sclien...cf0&biw=1202&bih=535

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26887 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to http://www.prod.bulbsonline.or...en/publiek/index.jsf and you can get some very good information about all aspects of growing bulbs from people interested in your succeding so you buy more bulbs in the future.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8185 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you go for this, folks, here's a hint.... ya know how sometimes they grow leaves that are SO TALL that they end up flopping over?... well, if you add a teaspoon of vodka to the water/or any other clear likker!/it stunts the growth enough that they don't grow so tall... still bloom just dandy, tho.....

Those must be some HAPPY bulbs! Big Grin

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Again...I continue to find new sources from HGTV. Have you seen the HGTVGARDEN site? They have planted inside the shells of colorful eggs for the Easter theme.

AND....the site knows what your zipcode is and will provide us with the types of plants that will grow in our area.

Seriously...how cool is that!

Posts: 5237 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trish212:

AND....the site knows what your zipcode is and will provide us with the types of plants that will grow in our area.

Seriously...how cool is that!

Seriously...how creepy is that. I'm not going to that site. That's what the gardening forum is for. IMO

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
mgt, you're here on this site. Info is taken on us when we visit. Might as well leave blogging altogether and stick with the fliers that come in the mail. But then, people complain of all the junk mail they receive.

This way is less complicated IMHO.

Posts: 5237 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Oh my!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."