Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Craft Trends
  Does anybody make paper beads??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anybody make paper beads?? Sign In/Join 
Picture of thimble lady
posted
Does anybody make rolled paper beads that are so popular now? I have tried but need some hints on how to get them started. Anybody?

Posts: 3615 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
go to check the pj class list.. toryam does these beads.

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3953 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I see them everywhere now and that makes me want to make some!!! I think some tips from an expert will make it easier!!!!

Posts: 3615 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SharonK
posted Hide Post
We roll ours around a toothpick, hit the end of the tip with Aleene's Tacky Glue, Drop them off the toothpick onto a glass or stoneware dinner plate to dry. You got beads.

Posts: 5815 | Location: Suncoast of Florida | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
I used fabric the same way, made a necklace. It's very shabby chic.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Oh, thanks to both of you. Your fabric beads didnt fray too much? You coated them? Ill bet they are gorgeous!

Picture of dandeeline
posted Hide Post
I've never tried fabric, but I make beads out of colorful magazine pages. I roll them around a toothpick and use a glue stick when I am almost finished rolling.
I glaze them too, sometimes with a glaze, sometimes with Mod Podge, and I have even used clear finger nail polish.

I stick the end of the toothpick in an upside down foam bowl to let the beads dry. After I take them off I sort by similar colors and store in baby food jars until I am ready to make something.

Posts: 347 | Location: north carolina | Registered: Sep 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thimble lady:
Oh, thanks to both of you. Your fabric beads didnt fray too much? You coated them? Ill bet they are gorgeous!

I left them as is, they didn't fray, just looked rough cut.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Sounds beautiful. Im going to try it.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Made tons of them when I was a little girl using the method SharonK described. That was 40 some years ago. We used paper from old magazines, and they turned out really pretty and colorful.

Posts: 7076 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Use your rotary cutter to cut them in a long skinny triangle shape. The wide end is where u start rolling with the toothpick & determines the width of your beads. PM me your addy & I'll put a sackful in the mail to u.

Posts: 3978 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made these just two years ago, I showed the granddaughter and she made lots and loved it.

My friend Eileen showed me how and she had purchased a neat wire bead paper roller. It had a little slit in it and you just slipped the paper in and rolled.

We started with a length of triangle shaped paper. The longer the paper the larger the bead. We used Aleeens glue on them.

Posts: 226 | Registered: Sep 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/blendedtutorial.htm here is a site and if you gogle you tube paper beads i am sure you will get many hits. or just paper beads.

Posts: 2943 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several good tutorials on Youtube.

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hellen K
posted Hide Post
Woven paper can be easily made into all kinds of beads in the different sizes and colors.Here is an article about paper beads. Hope you can get some inspirations from it.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jun 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post