Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Craft Trends
  Reindeer moss for a long-lasting indoor gnome garden?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reindeer moss for a long-lasting indoor gnome garden? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi,

I bought a bunch of reindeer moss from the dollar store today for two reasons. My sister is getting married in June and is obsessed with gnomes so I'm throwing a gnome-themed bridal shower for her in May, where I'll be decorating with the moss. Also, at that bridal shower, I'm going to present her with an elaborate "portable" gnome garden in a pot for their new home that they just purchased. Ill be working on this project over the next 9 months.

For these two reasons, I bought all the moss but am now concerned as to whether the moss will last through to May without molding or discoloring. Will it? I live in SF, so the air is always moist and foggy...the perfect climate for mold and mildew. If the moss will likely go bad, what can I do now to avoid that as much as possible?

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards.!!!! Glad to have you here.

Wish I could help you with the moss problem. If it were me, I would google 'keeping moss alive' and see what you can come up with.

Hope you post pictures when the happy event takes place. Would love to see what you come up with.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
years ago, I gathered reindeer moss to use in natural crafting like wreaths & smaller crafts . It is a tougher, harder moss and other than being careful not to break it, it was pretty hardy. We are in So Illinois and there is a lot of humidity here too but it's pretty hardy so hope this helps a bit. If it's like the reindeer moss here, it is stiff and you can break it into usable pieces , and I found it very nice to work with

Posts: 2351 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post