Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Craft Trends
  Vintage Jewelry Framed Christmas Trees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage Jewelry Framed Christmas Trees Sign In/Join 
posted
I saw these really cool framed vintage jewelry Christmas trees for sale on line and thought, I could do that. Where would one find large quantities of vintage jewelry without going to garage sales for the next 50 years.

Posts: 2 | Location: Fl | Registered: May 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Try thrift stores or Goodwill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7832 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
So much of the vintage jewelry (really glittery pretty stuff) has already been busted up for these things that were popular in the 50's/60's? Some of us rescued boxes of vintage from garage sales and don't want to see it broken apart.

Any vintage jewelry you do find is probably going to be very costly to break into pieces for a "flat tree". Why not use your own jewelry? Pin to a velvet foam board, and check craft stores for more stick on sparkle. Display the items from your own jewelry, without damaging them and have a whole new way to enjoy them.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I agree that this is easily doable for even the novice crafter. Importantly, I also agree that you need not use vintage jewelry tho my brother has found some pieces for cheap at his local church sales. Many people don't realize the value of vintage costume jewelry and some don't recognize true vintage jewelry. There are plenty of inexpensive reproduction costume jewelry pieces on the market today and very suitable for this sort of craft. Find a shadow box deep enough for this project. Along with church sales, check out garage sales, thrift stores, consignment shops. Think of the pride of workmanship and the satisfaction that you created it frugally.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Also ask friends and family for glitzy costume jewelry they no longer want. They may gladly part with lone earrings, pins they no longer wear or dressy hair accessories that can pass for brooches. Have patience and before long you'll have enough materials. Half the fun is in the hunt. Think of the stories you could tell regarding where the jewelry came from.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftynorma
posted Hide Post
The trick is do not break it up fill in with small beads.

Posts: 823 | Location: calif, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thrift stores = win + profit

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I think there is someone on the boards that is using multiple names and posting. Look at the dates, comments, etc.

Just wondering.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10034 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post