Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Craft Trends
  bottle with lights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bottle with lights Sign In/Join 
posted
I am trying to make these bottles with Christmas lights in them and keep breaking the bottle and ideas would be great thank you

Posts: 342 | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I have a Dremel hand tool and have used it on so much. They do make a glass cutting accessory, but I haven't used it. That big box store that sells Craftsman is a good place to start.
I found a cute craft idea using mason jars, potpourri and battery operated lights down in the jar with the potpourri. I have seen these sold with a small hole drilled in the lid for the electric lights.
Google cutting glass, Youtube videos and Pinterest as not all bottles are made the same. Good luck.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 491 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ilvmicki2
posted Hide Post
When I make glass blocks with lights I used a tile drill bit. This should work on a bottle. Also, drill slowly.

Colleen

Posts: 937 | Location: kcmo | Registered: Feb 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QbHsaiZB-0 try this it is for glass blocks but do it with bottle

Posts: 3066 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NC HillBilly
posted Hide Post
I use the drill bit like the one in the link Coco Cathy posted. I ordered mine from Harbor Freight. I have drilled blocks and bottles.

Pattyo

Posts: 1433 | Location: Dobson, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you I went to lowes and got mine just wondering how many times you can use the bit before they get dull

Picture of DABonner
posted Hide Post
A Diamond Drill Bit is supposed to work great.

Posts: 54 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A diamond drill bit is the easiest and best. Also, you need water to keep any bit and the glass cool. Don't press too hard on the drill. Let the bit do the work. Too much pressure will cause the glass to break.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
??? Do glass cutting tools work? Just wondering aloud.

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nope but the diamond bit for cutting glass and then run water over it as you cut the glass and it works great