Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Craft Trends
  purging craft supplies... SIGH!?!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

purging craft supplies... SIGH!?! Sign In/Join 
posted
A sadly miss when there were actually CRAFT shows on HGTV. Got inspired to clear out supplies from craft/junk room that I just know I'm not gonna use!?! Back of my Sante Fe is LOADED with bags/boxes/containers of perfectly usable craft supplies. MOST of the "raw material" are things I found at yard sales and thrift stores and just KNEW there was a project in them. Things like beads, those flattened marbles, WAY too many small bottles of craft paints. Kept best of paint brushes and paints... in case I get inspired. Colse to everything is going to Good Will tomorrow as a donation. Set aside a bunch of wooden pieces (CHristmas trees, butterflies, moons and stars) for niece to do crafts with her 2 little ones. Have a MESSA Fiskar fancy cut scissors... not until kids are beyond contemplating impromptu HAIRCUTS!!

SOO will have a lot of vacant space in a large 3 part storage unit?? Gonna move "pantry" items from kitchen out there!?!

Posts: 5635 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of treee
posted Hide Post
I've been doing the same thing. packing up some of the crafts supplies that I know I'm not going to use. I have a cousin that her daughter does crafts. before I take to Goodwill I'm going to see if she wants anything.

Posts: 658 | Registered: Sep 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your "new" space. That's what it will feel like as you thin things out. Be sure and get a receipt for your donation.

Now consider some serious organizing. Seek out sales and buy a stacked drawer bin - mine were found in the hardware aisle of Home Depot. And I also found pegboard organizing items - baskets, etc.. Speaking from experience, it will take a year to stop looking for that little craft something you just know you have but actually gave away.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 481 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
When purging craft supplies think of donating them to senior centers, church school/after school programs, day cares, etc. Most of them are always happy to receive craft supplies.

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3203 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished up day 2 a little while ago... ran outta "gas" and just getting cruddier by the minute!

Wiped down shelving unit and start reorganizing stuff. Craft things I kept are in bins or those plastic "shoe" boxes in lower cubbies. Moved "dry goods" (beans, little pastas/couscous, etc.) to shelves. Everything is in a glass jar or vac sealed cannister... actually looks pretty good. That freed up space in cabinet for frequently used items... every empty inch of counter top is a plus. Moved a few infrequently used small appliance to where some of those "staples" used to live.

Have a MESSA CLEAN plastic shoe boxes and a few small storage things with drawers. Checking to see if sister, SIL or niece would want some.

There will be at LEAST one more BIG load of stuff to donate. ANother local thrift store I frequent helpd Greyhound rescue groups.

NOT gonna stop till I reclaim this room... then it will be usable again.

Posts: 5635 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the midst of doing the same thing. It is sad to see all the stuff that I was going to do but didn't have time. Now that I have some time, either the people I was going to make it for are at a different stage of life or gone. I just gave away a bunch of kids crafting supplies that I bought for dd to do with her friends or with me. It makes me sad that we didn't do them.

Posts: 2360 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up-side, besides the eventaully cleaned out room, is that almost everything I'm getting rid of came from yard sales... dirt cheap.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Just read about where Good Will is not necessarily a charity - the owner pockets quite a bit of profit.

I also suggest your local school(s), day care, churches, nursing homes...

Posts: 17066 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thatchairlady,
we give our gently used items to greyhound angels!!LOL
Noted you are from nj, It keeps me on my toes since I love to donate.

God nevers give you more than you can accept, wish he did not have so much faith in me

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greyhound Angels! That's the other thrift shop that gets my donations... in Lumberton, NJ!

Picture of dandeeline
posted Hide Post
I used to teach a craft class at a day shelter for homeless women. I was thankful for all the crafters who donated supplies they no longer used. While purging may be tough, you can take the opportunity to give to someone who will greatly appreciate your "left overs".

Posts: 347 | Location: north carolina | Registered: Sep 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Debi O'
posted Hide Post
I guess it's a sign of the times, purging craft supplies. I am bound & determined that this is my last year of doing craft shows all year long. I am cutting back to a few shows come 2014. I too, got caught up in the crafting here on HGTV. I saw it, had to do it, went out & got supplies & yet, there they sit. I am proud to say that I have made progress this past Spring. I am finally using up the bags of spools, bags of wooden doll pins, etc etc. And if it does not sell, it'll be gifted to family first, then whats leftover, to the groups who really could use them.

Ok-now that I have joined y'all in this venture, carry on!!!

as always,

Debi O'

Crafting does the heart good.

Posts: 7814 | Location: Arlington, TX USA | Registered: Oct 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post