Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   HGTV Contests & Giveaways
Hop To Forums   Smart Home 2014 in Nashville, TN has ended
  What is your favorite spot or feature in the Smarthome
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite spot or feature in the Smarthome Sign In/Join 
Picture of nursejudy
posted
I have so been enjoying the 360 and the wonderful pictures. It is hard to come up with just one thing that is wonderful in the 2014 HGTV smarthome. I think today I would love to concentrate on the kitchen. I love the cabinets and think I could get a lot of joy from the coffee bar. Lattes anyone?

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5655 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so many , I love this house because its not cluttered like the other hgtvs houses.. simple , clean décor ... I do like the back porch but not a fan of upholstered furniture in rainy snowy climates .. the kitchen is great but too much blue ... wow like it all....

Posts: 379 | Registered: Oct 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I like the back porch very much as well. I can picture myself and company enjoying a gathering on the back patio. I think when not in use, you would want to bring in the cushions and pillows during inclement weather, but that would be fine. It is neat having the deck above as well. Well thought out.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Posts: 5655 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pantry is a favorable idea. We have a small, lighted one and would really like this bigger arrangement; seasonal storage can be switched in and out of it into the kitchen. Right now many dry goods are scattered about the home.

Posts: 3162 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
The butlers pantry is really neat Tango. With all the neat gadgets available and several different styles of dishes, storage is a must.

Moving from the kitchen and pantry, using them is a must as i can just see a neat brunch out on the deck on a beautiful day. Beautiful view with the trees in the background, how relaxing. Smile

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Quote: NurseJudy:" I think today I would love to concentrate on the kitchen. I love the cabinets and think I could get a lot of joy from the coffee bar." I think this kitchen is well designed. In fact, I discussed the kitchen in detail with my mother this morning. I even told my mother I would be able to put our recipes on the big screen with LARGE font to see the ingredients without my glasses (no vanity here).There are so many areas for pantry storage, I hope there's an Excel sheet that helps the homeowner locate everything. We already have to do this.
I am hoping my kids are signing up, too. I have one kid who would be over the top with the Stage. She loves to sing as much as I do. I still lament that my fingers are too short for the guitar. It's one instrument I would LOVE to know how to play. Those who play...amazing! I told my youngest, I could swear some of the artwork must be her's. She laughs at me.
This home TRULY does sing FAMILY HOME, there's a comfortable presence about it.

Posts: 5231 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I agree Trish, it would be a neat family home. My family are also very musical and artistic. My youngest daughter loves to sing as well, she was in a high school for the performing arts and loves singing. I could see her having a good time.That stage is really a fun option. My husband loves to play the guitar as well and loves Movies on big screens. That basement would most likely be his favorite space as well..

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Since I'm having difficulty blogging on the Smarthome portion of the site, I'll say it here.

Thank you for the sharing the artists involved shared in the videos. Very talented people! OK...so the artwork didn't come from my daughter.

For those of us afraid we'd 'muss' up the chalkboard design, maybe a photo of the image could be taken and flip the projector around to TRACE the design again. Just a thought for those of us who trace quite well. Smile How many of you are aware there are now projectors for some of your Smartphones? Amazing right? If I had one, I know what I could do with it where I volunteer, the kids would think it was cool!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Trish amazing what smart phones can do now. I also was wondering how to preserve the neat artwork on the chalk wall. In one of their videos someone asked if you could seal it with something and the answer was "no". That was the only option i could think of. Now i like your idea take a picture while it is nice and project it. Smart idea for the smarthome.

I also have some neat artwork at my home, a number of water colors I love (painted by my ex)
My husband is also an artist, but illustrates. I also have a couple large Kinkaides I would need to find a place for if I moved there. I do like the artwork there as well although more modern then I presently have. My daughter that sings is also very artistic, she had a few she did that fell from her walls and broke during our recent earthquake. But we were all safe which was most important.

Today, I am loving the Master closet. I think the builtins are great and the practical way they made use of the high areas.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I know I'm considered an odd duck when I say I am thankful I can iron to get the wrinkles out of clothes. One time, I went to visit a friend. She was ironing in the spare bedroom. She does what I do, we have a tv and listen/watch as we iron. (Iknow, Iknow...we made so many comments about tvs being in places.) I would have to bring in my laptop, or a Bluetooth speaker to listen to the radio broadcast while ironing. So...not a problem. There are so many sources for our need for media these days. And ironing....STILL exists, TYG!
There's a lot of space in this closet! The height feature with the raising bar-awesome! I have the high empty space in our closet. But the sliding doors make it inconvenient for the bar to move like the one that this gorgeous Master Closet has.

When will Carley be showing us the fancy Christm as lighting? Which light colors were chosen? I saw that feature last year being advertised. Will there be a special Christm as edition? I like how the back porch seating area can have different light selections, too. When I saw the gray, I wasn't thrilled with the color. As she turned on the lights at the base, I realized the gray was neutral and it could be ANY color. W2G!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I agree the seating area in the back patio is fantastic. It would be a great gathering place. It is presently 77 degrees in Nashville, so a great day for an outdoor lunch or dinner.

I iron on occasion, got myself a new iron last year because mine was pushing 40 years old. Still worked but thought a new one would be nice. I use it frequently when I sew as ironing those seams makes your garment look so much better.

I wonder what kind of flowers grow in Nashville. I'd love some flowers around the patio. I was out pruning my roses this morning and i have a beautiful orchid bloom, one outside and one inside.

Anyone else joining outside on the patio today?

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Today, I am moving upstairs to the deck. Beautiful day and I can picture a nice picnic lunch. Beautiful view as well. Come join me dreamers and give your input on this smarthome area.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Another favorite spot IS the stage area in the basement. The karaoke mic system...awesome. The JVC projector is going to get a lot of use. I figure the lyrics of the songs can be put on the backwall for those of us who may make up our own lyrics because we can't remember all the given ones. Smile Does anyone know if the projector can be moved outside? Make an outdoor theater using the trees to hold up the screen (kingsize sheet) and have even more space for a larger crowd! Are the neighbors good about the number of cars along the street? Our neighborhood appears to have many parties lately. It can't go unnoticed around here.

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Karaoke on the stage sounds like a lot of fun. I am not sure if you can move the projector or not, but you have a camera which tapes you on the satge which can then be shown on the large TV screen.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Sunday afternoon, lets move across the room from the music area and enjoy a movie on that huge screen. This smart home has it all.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Where is everyone, you missed the movie?

What do you all think of the guest room. I think yyour company will want to stay awhile as it is pretty neat. great colorsSmile

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
All these entries...but little mention of green or tech.
What happened to solar and to wind turbines in the yard? What became of the data from those who installed and advocated them years' back? Where is the love? :>)

Here are some of the pragmatics of a roof-mounted solar panel system, if you are located in SW Florida:
My South-exposed, roof-mounted solar, eight panel-array pool heater is giving out, due to panel leaks. It is fourteen years old. Warranty is fifteen years. Warranty visits are about 50.00 each.
I won't install another solar array until the roof upon which it is located needs replacing; putting new solar panels on the roof and then removing again to install new shingles is too expensive.
The System cost about three hundred dollars a year to heat the pool, not including pool pump (elec bill) since the pump runs anyway.
Wind, clouds and rain, and the low sun angle make for low pool heat output. This is when you want the heat the most, but get the least performance.
The average pool temperature for the ten thousand gallon pool in the months, Dec and January averaged 77 degrees. All other months it kept the temperature at 85 or better.
The lowest Dec-Jan temp for a steady three weeks was 72 average. The highest aver Dec-Jan temp for a steady two weeks was 86 F.

shoeshine boy

Posts: 3162 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I guess I never thought about fixing your roof when you have solar.

I am enjoying the master bath today. Very pretty, nice colors and looks beautiful. Now watching the news in the shower is a luxury which never occurred to me before. Nice touch.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Tango, wow a pool! Congratulations. And in Florida? Help me understand why your pool must be heated. I guess you are not a member of the Polar Bear club. lol I DO understand. brrrrrrrr

In our area, we get all four seasons. The most dangerous is during thunderstorms when electricity MAY get taken out. Therefore, another energy source is helpful. If home owners were offered various methods of mounting solar panels, I believe there may be a stronger interest. I believe several videos have helped explain how to set up inverters and which inverters are needed to accomodate medical/computerized devices. Not everyone has the degree/training in this. Therefore, people hold back of the unknown. My mother told me she remembers when their home was the first to have electricity coming into it. THAT was the BIG deal! lol

I have several techy favorites within the Smart Home. I enjoy watching the CES coverage and many of the tech shows. Oh what I have learned! I remember when some of the former designers of HGTV presented the television consoles that had the raising panel/televisions hidden behind art/mirrors. I remember seeing curtains that could be opened by remote control on one of the shows. My father thought he was quite clever having an on and off switch connected to the tv. He could turn it off without getting up. He would have enjoyed the changes that have taken place over the years.

I use EXCEL to create my own smart house pantry. We have items scattered throughout the home-many of us have this necessity. I have a way to locate them. There must be ways to make things easier. And....if I can't find it online, I'll come up with my own way. I created my own "cloud" before it was even thought of when I needed to get something done. lol Technically speaking, the new version IS easier than my method...but I DID do this about a year before it came to be.

In honor of Mothers Day....Necessity is the mother of invention. Smile

Happy Mothers Day!

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trish212:
Tango, wow a pool! Congratulations. And in Florida? Help me understand why your pool must be heated. I guess you are not a member of the Polar Bear club. lol I DO understand. brrrrrrrr QUOTE]

trish, you are a stalwart.
It will be 53 for a high in Minneapolis, tomorrow, May 14. The leaves are still not as big as squirrels' ears on the trees.
But when you consider that the Nordskis came across the North Atlantic in open boats, yes, 53F is, as they say, "Totally reasonable." :>)

May your inventiveness be carried along on the Cloud(s) :>)

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Nawwwww. Not a stalwart. Choosing between pool/hot tub at the hotels.....hot tubs win everytime.

One of our favorite lakes is in MN. We just don't go late enough to swim there....it's our fishin' spot. However, this year we can't make it. It's ALL about tech. lol

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I enjoy both pools and hot tubs. I wonder if there is enough room for a pool at the smarthome?

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nursejudy:
Interesting, I guess I never thought about fixing your roof when you have solar.
QUOTE]
Satisfactorily repairing old mounting-holes on the roof is an issue when replacing solar panels, or mounting new.
In addition, roof leaks occur when solar is mounted on the roof because of the constant wind and temperature changes that affect the mountings themselves. We had three different years when that occurred. It was a mess inside the attic and home. It meant a new roof although only one quarter of the home had panels on it.

Photovoltaic solar panel mountings are more vulnerable to wind, temperature changes and ice damage than water heater-type panels. The elec units are thicker, heavier, more susceptible to wind especially.
Ice dams around the solar panels are a regular occurrence in the northern climes. The dams kill a roof.
(I have blared it before...solar is best mounted in the fields)
shoeshine boy :>)

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I wonder if those solar panel issues are why we are not seeing them as often. I do not see any on this beautiful smarthome.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Today, I am enjoying the great room. All that natural light when the drapes are open is fantastic. later a nice BarBQ on the deck for a memorial day celebration sounds inviting as well.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
The Smarthome's patio has made me rethink our's. We have the open beams under the deck.

Have you seen the movie, The Birds, with Tippi Hedren? We have had a female robin that built four nests in those beams. I felt like Tippi's character, Marnie, in the past several days. Mama robin is trying to protect her young and swoops down at me as I come out to check on our garden. Robins are typically one of our favorite birds to watch. But when being "warned", we've decided to enclose the beams like the Smarthome's porch ceiling.

Another 'smart' feature to appreciate! Smile

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Yes birds like to make nests in interesting places. i had a pair of Doves nest in my front planter for years.

It is very beautiful with the enclosed beams and makes the patio usable on a rainy day.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of mlr920
posted Hide Post
Even though it's a smart house I really love the simplicity of the design. Being able to just sit on the porch and the kitchen those are my favorite features.

Posts: 1 | Location: Detroit | Registered: Jun 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
The porch and the kitchen do provide areas to sit and enjoy

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
What really stood out for me,was how much the front door resembled the TARDIS from Doctor WHO?.
That awesome blue on the front door in the kitchen
and up in the children den.I think the front door
make such a Cool and Fun statement and also a nod to the famous Brit sci-fi TV show, Kudos, it fit very well being the house is of a Brit style of home,Tudor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nivla 5,

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jun 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post