Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Missing Photovoltaic Solar panels Sign In/Join 
posted
I often look for the photovoltaic panels on each new Smart Home, and find lately that this green feature has been missing.
I have solar panels on my home, and drive a hybrid SUV. I try to be fair in the approach to green, and hopefully give a fair assessment.

Perhaps some of the following is reason for HGTV to reduce the solar storm. Solar owners, join in.
My conclusion: Orig cost and panel depreciation play too big a part...
and you have to put those panels somewhere.

Today's WSJournal has an article on Solar installations.
An example was a $28,000, 6 KwH panel system...it saves a max of 20%* (see below) on the annual elec bill. But the depreciation of the solar system to the home seller is 9% per year. One barely pays back in 25 Years in savings what the system originally cost.

But solar does attract buyers according to the realtors in CA, AZ and HI.

*Solar has a max panel sunlight output of 50% over the year which is reduced further by sun angle and clouds/precip.
*GA, for example, uses 46 KwH per day per house. At 13c per KwH including tax, 6 KwH solar would provide a savings of $440 a year. That is a 350 sq foot panel setup.
shoeshine boy

Posts: 3162 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post