Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lincoln MKZ Sign In/Join 
Picture of trish212
posted
I don't know about the rest of you....but I've seen MANY of these beauties driven around our area lately.

Are many of you seeing these? I have mentioned to my husband this is what it looks like. NICE!

Knowing it's a hybrid, will there be information about "plugging" in the vehicle? I've noticed the "outlets" on the wall of the garage, are any of THESE what is used?

If there's a video about the hybrid Lincoln MKZ and I missed it, sorry. This may be something that would be helpful for those of us who haven't learned all that we can about 'hybrids'.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Posts: 5230 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
It is the same platform and basic car as the Ford Fusion. In the straight gas model the trunk is huge, in the hybrid it is OK. In the Energi plug in electric hybrid you can carry about a weeks worth of groceries for a small family in the trunk Forget about using it for a family vacation. The trunk is consumed with batteries.

I really like the Fusion, actually better than the MKZ.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6967 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Good to know.

Right now, we had planned on our 2nd car for inner city driving. We need our larger vehicle for vacationing with fishing in mind. Smile The MKZ would definitely be too small for this.

This may sound silly....I had to give me clues which side of the car the gas tank was on. Are all the hybrids made with the same side/do they vary? Does this determine where the outlets are in the garage? Just thinking aloud and saying hmmmmm? This may be something that home builders may need to consider when planning on the "new" garages, right?

Thanks for the info.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
The gas tank is on the drivers side. The plug in port for the plug in electric hybrid is also on the drivers side in the front fender. I think the cords with the chargers are long enough to reach either side. If I had one, it would likely have the power port in the middle of the garage not along the side wall.

There are no standards as to which side of the car the gas tank filler is located or for that matter the charging port.

Fords tend to be on the drivers side, but there are probably some exceptions out there. I have 2 Fords and a Honda and all are on the drivers side. My previous Fords (Explorer and Ranger) were also on the passenger side. For these purposes any Lincoln is going to be the same side as the Ford model they're based on. Simply because the parts under the skin are going to be the same. The sheet metal may be different but bet your bottom dollar the gas tanks are the same.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6967 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I see this as something the homebuilders need to consider when designing the newer "techy" homes.

BTW, we had two Fords. The gas door was on the driver's side; the other on the passenger's side. I had my head band wrapped around one to be my reminder. So they're never the same. Glad to know the cords will be long enough to reach either side.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know it isn't universal. Most cars have a little symbol in the dash telling you what side the gas tank opening is on. Very handy on rental cars.

General Disclaimer

posted Hide Post
Here's a little secret...on just about every gas gauge there is an icon of a gas pump, next to it is an arrow that points to the side of the car where the fill is located.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:
Here's a little secret...on just about every gas gauge there is an icon of a gas pump, next to it is an arrow that points to the side of the car where the fill is located.

Not really a secret. And mentioned in my post above.

General Disclaimer

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Older models didn't have one, hair bands worked quite well. Smile

I took a closer look at the MKZ photos and think I have found where the charger is located. TY.

So many things have changed on vehicles. Years ago there was a vehicle that you pushed buttons to get it in gear. (Can't recall the type: my grandmother had one, friend from college, too.) It appears the MKZ has the push button for changing gears vs. the shift on the console. Clothes and cars, wait a few years, and the old become fashionable again.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trish212:
Older models didn't have one, hair bands worked quite well. Smile

I took a closer look at the MKZ photos and think I have found where the charger is located. TY.

So many things have changed on vehicles. Years ago there was a vehicle that you pushed buttons to get it in gear.

That was a Chrysler. It had lockout protection so you could not get into reverse while moving forward even though the reverse button was wrongly selected.
The current button system still has a greater opportunity than the more common quadrant system for the driver to start out in the wrong direction simply because of the buttons' unfamiliar arrangement.
Consumer Reports says the MKZ's "push-button, dash-mounted gear selector and touch-sensitive controls for climate and audio functions are distracting and frustrating to use."

Posts: 3162 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
A friend had one of the Chryslers when she was in college. She called her dad and said she couldn't get it to start. Her dad had to drive over 7 hours to get to our college. After 3.5 hours, my friend realized she didn't have the P/N button pushed to get the car to start. She said that she was going to have to buy her dad an excellent steak dinner for this mistake. TRUE STORY

Some people have a knack for knowing which buttons to push. lol Smile

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I saw a hybrid car plugged into a regular outlet with some kind of an adapter, so I guess they are trying to make it more convenient vs one of those charging stations.

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5652 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Nurse Judy

Most (all?) of them can be charged with regular household outlets but it takes a lot longer at 120 VAC than the higher voltage and amperage purpose built chargers.

Trish,
A few months ago my daughter came back into the house before heading off to school. She turned off the car before coming into the house. She came back in complaining she couldn't start the car and couldn't get the key out. I go out and sure enough I can't get it to work either. She takes my truck to school. After playing with it for a few minutes I realized she hadn't put it into park before shutting it off. Grrrr... At least I didn't need to drive to school to "rescue" her.

General Disclaimer

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I saw a Ford Flex today. It's gas filler was on the passenger side.

General Disclaimer

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Interesting, most gas outlets are on the drivers side for convenience. Did we decide which side this car has?

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Posts: 5652 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
The MKZ is on the driver's side. My experience at the gas station says it probably is about 50/50 drivers/passengers side.

General Disclaimer

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
IT seems like a nice car. I have never driven the gas/electric combo type, but know they are suppose to be very gas efficient and with the price of gas any savings would be great. As long as it has a back up camera as I have a cervical spinal fusion and can't turn well I am happy and I'm sure it can come with one.

It is nice, they always have the home come with a car. Very nice bonus Smile

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of Mr.Bill
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Abe Lincoln had lost his 1st presidential debate to Steven A. Douglas in 1859, if the grand prize this year would include a Douglas MKZ?

Smile

{Proud Member of the Flapjaw Club}
~♥~ ~♥~

Posts: 3602 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I wonder Mr. Bill.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bill,
Alternatively would we be two countries the USA and the CSA?

Alternative history exercises can be quite fascinating because you can only speculate what would have happened.

There was a good piece on the aftermath of WW-I in the WSJ this weekend as we approach the 100th anniversary of the start of that war.

General Disclaimer