Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Ultimate Bathroom
  What is the best type of bathtub material?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best type of bathtub material? Sign In/Join 
posted
I need a new 60 x 30 bathtub and am totally confused on what the best material is. I keep hearing Cast Iron, but it is so heavy & my contractor will charge more because of the weight. Then there is Americast , acrylic & fiberglass. I heard fiberglass is the worst. I want something that will last. I looked at Americast but read it chips easy. Anyone have experience with them? What about acrylic tubs? Are they sturdy enough? I am overwhelmed. My contractor told me any material will outlast me & will not chip unless I drop a heavy metal object on them. I have googled way too much and get mixed reviews. ANY advice will help!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bristimjet,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently, Fiberglass is the least expensive and is strong. But this article should help you decide on what you want for the price and quality:

http://www.inman.com/2012/02/1...9-bathtub-materials/

Home Decor, coming from the soul.
www.decorativesoul.com

Posts: 15 | Location: WA | Registered: Jun 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You both appear to be promoting websites which is considered advertising and is therefor against board rules.

Posts: 18692 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many choices available from which you can choose. Before settling on what type of countertop you want, you must take into account factors such as its price, durability, maintenance, style and installation. Some of the best materials that can be used for your countertop are marble, laminates, tiles, granite and soapstone.

kitchen cabinet design ideas

home decor ideas for kitchen

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I will suggest acrylic and fiberglass mix. They are pretty reliable and less expensive too. I've got myself a clawfoot bathtub, few months back and so far it is in good condition. I've got few suggestions from my friends and that's how I ended up with it. The tub also looks great. It is somewhat similar to the black tub in this blog, just the foot is white. http://www.dispenser.com/blog/...-claw-foot-bathtubs/

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
We have a house built in 1989. I don't know if this tub is acrylic, fiberglass, or a mix. It's held up incredibly well without yellowing or cracking.

In the home we just moved OUT of, the tub (again, don't know if acrylic, fiberglass, or a mix) was white and had yellowed within 5 years. And cracked at 15 years.

Both bathrooms had windows and natural light.

HTH.

Posts: 4484 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently, I consulted one of the bathroom renovation service offering company. They provide me best information about how to select the best material for bathtub, shower and many more related things with clear data..

toilet

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the past, people would put their bathtub anywhere in the house where they had privacy, but now the bathrooms are designed around the bathtub. Homemakers try to look for such bathroom bathtub design ideas, which are convenient, luxurious, and easy to manage apart from giving them a comfortable bathing experience. For more info you can go through this page: http://ezinearticles.com/?Whic...Bathtubs?&id=8422355

Posts: 1 | Location: To share and know something about bathtubes. | Registered: Apr 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mostly preferred the dark color stone which is like quartz which seems good and cleaning also easily to me.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post