Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Ultimate Bathroom
  Handicap / Accessible Bathroom...HELP!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handicap / Accessible Bathroom...HELP!! Sign In/Join 
posted
I am in a wheelchair, 3 years post injury.. the victim of a hit and run car accident. I have struggled with being able to do the basic things we all do every day without a second thought... TAKE A SHOWER. Custom accessible bathrooms are available but at incredibly high price. I also have a small space to work with. I am looking for advice, help, even a renovation show!! There are so many people in my situation.. I think it would make a great show and would change my life!

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Check with your city (or if you are out of town with your county). Many locales have access to grants.

Also check your agency on aging.
As well as the USDA - they help people with renovations.

If by chance you are located in Texas, let me know. I have many contact numbers as a result of my employment.

Posts: 16993 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
G@d bless you. Think of hospital rooms and nursing home rooms. They feature showers without thresholds/curbs for ease of access. The entries are wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs and their shower floors are gradually sloped for drainage. Sinks are open and lower to allow for wheelchairs too. BTW, Extreme Home makeover has built and featured homes for disabled vets in the past. Much success in your renovation. Take care.

Posts: 18654 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Houzz has many levels of handicap/accessible bathrooms. We are looking at aging-in-place updates, and they require some of the same aspects.

I was surprised by the ideas on Houzz, and realized it wouldn't require as much reno as I originally anticipated.

We got thinking of it after I broke my leg and mangled both feet a year ago. NO threshold. Someplace BIG enough to sit and not some tiny little ledge. Etc.

The site might offer some suggestions for your situation, too.

Posts: 4459 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post