Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vessel Sinks Sign In/Join 
posted
What is your opinion on vessel sinks? People seem to either love or hate them. I'm not necessarily talking about those ultra fancy shallow ones that you couldn't bathe a goldfish in much less adequately wash your face - but a decent size one that looks gorgeous and is very functional. Is this a trend that is here to stay for awhile or one that is going to be passe in a year or two? Would you have one?
I'd love some discussion on this! Thanks!

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vessels style sinks have been around awhile now. Like most things, some are well done, and lots of wannabes swirl around those. I'd say most of those wannabes are the ones that don't have staying power.

On the other hand, the public can be fickle, to the point of shooting themselves in the foot. You see this when quality products get pushed out in favor of junk from China and India that everyone complains about.

Here's a vessel style sink that you may like:
marble vessels style sink

I don't think that one will be passe anytime soon. I installed that one a couple years ago, and it's still there.

Regards.

Phil

http://granitesealingservice.com/

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil. I, personally, love them but wanted some feedback from others on how they feel. I'm in the shopping and planning phase of a master bath gut and remodel with a client right now who is open to vessel sinks but not completely on board. We apent several hours yesterday in plumbing showrooms - some of those sinks are drop dead gorgeous and others look completely non-functional. Budget is not a HUGE consideration but at the same time she doesn't want (nor would I let her, all things considered) to spend $2,000 on each sink. Big Grin We're having the vanities custom made and want a sink worthy of them, however. Several candidates but no clear winner yet. I've seen them in model/show homes for a few years now. Her husband's biggest concern was that it would become outdated.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If YOU like them...

I personally do not. My step-son had one in the guest bath of his previous home. The faucet had such force that you got a bath whenver you turned it on.

My sister-in-law's husband insisted on two in their new bathroom. She doesn't like them. I still don't care for them. I think their problem is the lack of counter space...their vanity should have had only ONE sink of whatever style he decided he wanted.

Posts: 16462 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
If YOU like them...

I personally do not. My step-son had one in the guest bath of his previous home. The faucet had such force that you got a bath whenver you turned it on.

My sister-in-law's husband insisted on two in their new bathroom. She doesn't like them. I still don't care for them. I think their problem is the lack of counter space...their vanity should have had only ONE sink of whatever style he decided he wanted.

Ultimately it will be whatever the CLIENT decides - I'm just there to guide her, and try to give her the space she wants.
This particular space will have a long enough vanity that there will be plenty of space (as well as drawers and shelves for all their stuff) but that's a good consideration.
If we DO opt for vessel sinks they will be deep enough so the splash factor won't matter. The more shallow ones may looks lovely but function is the most important thing.
We saw many lovely vessel sinks as well as some beautiful conventional sinks yesterday - I like to be armed with as much info as possible so that's why I threw this out there to see what everyone thinks. Thanks!!

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I predict that the vessel sink craze will be relatively short lived. There are many styles that are beautiful, and anything "different" always catches our eye and interest, but the bottom line for me is that they are much harder to clean than a regular under mount sink. The place where the vessel and the counter connects collects gunk and grime, and depending on the form of the vessel it can be a really hard spot to wipe. That connection can sometimes also leak.

One thing to think about is your height.
Vessel sinks sit up on the counter, which means that the "top" of the sink is 4-6 or more inches higher than an in-counter sink. For short people, that added height can be uncomfortable, and for children it can make the sink unusable.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cocok:
I predict that the vessel sink craze will be relatively short lived. There are many styles that are beautiful, and anything "different" always catches our eye and interest, but the bottom line for me is that they are much harder to clean than a regular under mount sink. The place where the vessel and the counter connects collects gunk and grime, and depending on the form of the vessel it can be a really hard spot to wipe. That connection can sometimes also leak.

One thing to think about is your height.
Vessel sinks sit up on the counter, which means that the "top" of the sink is 4-6 or more inches higher than an in-counter sink. For short people, that added height can be uncomfortable, and for children it can make the sink unusable.

Very good points - thank you! The client's husband is (according to her) extremely "messy" with the toothpaste, etc. and she is really quite neat and clean so the extra added mess factor as well as possible leaking may be a deal breaker for the vessel sink.
I'm not as worried about the height of the vanity since they'll be custom made to the best level for each of them but that would be a consideration if we were going for a regular vanity or, as you say, if there were kids using the space.
We can use the money we'd spend on fabulous vessel sinks and upgrade something else to make her master bath everything she's ever dreamed of!
Thanks again for all of your help! I knew I could count on y'all!

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Bingo! That height thing may be the problem for me! And I'm not short. Now that was an "ah-ha" moment for me. Wink

Posts: 16462 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first vessel sink I had installed in a client's home was over 15 years ago. Frankly, even back then I thought they were a silly idea. They are, as Cocok said, hard to clean. They also limit you. If you should ever want to replace them with a normal self-rimming or undermount sink, you would literally have to replace the entire cabinet and much of the plumbing. In my area they have been out of style for several years.

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Cocock, they are hard to use if you want to wash your face... I'm 5'7" and have a difficult time leaning over it enough to wash my face and keep the water from splashing out onto the counter or floor. If you are going to make the counter top higher (36") like today's newer fashion is,it is very difficult to negotiate. I have 2 wading sinks in our MB and they work beautifully. One poster said the water goes everywhere but that sounds like more of a water pressure issue than the design of the sink.

Posts: 904 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions on the vessel sinks. If I redid my own master bath I'd still be tempted to put them in simply because I love them - but we all know that when you're doing work for a client you do what's best for that client.
Bottom line here is that we have decided on the undermount sinks. We were going to have the vanity custom done, but with the style the client likes this would cost more than she was willing to devote to that item - so one of my sources in Dallas is sending down a lovely, double vanity that will work well and give her almost everything she first wanted at less than half the price of custom. We're hoping this project goes together as easily and smoothly as when we did the rest of her downstairs. Actual work starts in a week and I've been promised a 3-4 week finish. I've worked with all the vendors/contractors before and they're always true to their word so y'all keep your fingers crossed. I've promised to be out in Malibu to help another client by the end of July so that does give me a little leeway but I'm always worried about those unforseen problems that seem to crop up!
Again, appreciate all the help!

posted Hide Post
I'm glad they moved away from the vessel, as I think the functionality is too risky with the faucet spraying, etc. Your new version sounds great--post some pics so we can see the end result.

Posts: 615 | Registered: Aug 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allison1888:
I'm glad they moved away from the vessel, as I think the functionality is too risky with the faucet spraying, etc. Your new version sounds great--post some pics so we can see the end result.

Thanks, Allison - I'll try. I'm the original techno-dingdong. I still have two disks from my photographer of pictures of my last two projects that I need to get to my "webmaster" so she can get a couple of updates on my website. I know, I know - it's easy. Uh huh. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Just wanted to chime in a couple of cents worth of opinion...

I like the look of vessel sinks in general, but a) I've never had one in my home, and b) I've seen a few that looked either completely misplaced or downright ugly.

I think that, given the chance, I'd probably like to try one in a powder room or guest bath that doesn't get a lot of wear. I can imagine using a clear glass vessel on a nice granite so that the visible surface would be maximized, or a simple white bowl on an dark wood stand.

However, my husband has expressed his disdain for vessel sinks, so installing one in our home isn't very likely.

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: Jun 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Tyler... Roll Eyes STOP advertising your site !

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I love the way they look. They are stylish and beautiful, but would hate to have to regularly clean them. So no, not in my home.

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post