Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refrigerator question Sign In/Join 
Picture of Vicki in AK
posted
I am planning a kitchen remodel and trying to find a new refrigerator. I have a VERY small galley kitchen so it can't be too wide or deep, and I am vertically-challenged so it can't be too tall. I've found one that's almost perfect made by Fisher & Paykel. The problem is that I live nowhere near a F&P authorized service center For warranty repairs, I would either have to ship it a thousand miles away by barge, or pay for a service tech to fly to my town. Don't see either of those happening! There is a local appliance repair place that has worked on Fisher & Paykel products, but I would have to pay for any warranty work. Would I be crazy to buy a refrigerator that doesn't have a local authorized service rep available? Also, does anyone have any experience with Fisher & Paykel refrigerators - any recommendations for or against? Thanks for your help!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I guess for me it would also depend on what I was paying for this refrigerator? Sounds like a modest size so it may not be all that much? If this is the only size that fits your space well, and you have researched the brand and model as much as you can on sites that sell it (and it is average to above average rated) I would consider taking the chance on it. The less any electronics or special features, the less likely repairs too.

And many times the extended warranties are not worthy of the extra cost, in my estimation. But that is no guarantee.

Posts: 9681 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you near a store that sells that model? Before you buy it, talk to the store about warranty repair. The dealer would have to deliver it, right?

For what it is worth, I have never had to have warranty repair on a fridge, and none of my customers (when I was contracting) have had that either. A relative now has a problem with the door ice maker on his fridge; I suspect the needed part or adjustment could be handled by the dealer that sold it to him.

Posts: 12207 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vicki in AK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for getting back to me! No one in Juneau, where I live, sells any Fisher & Paykel products, so I would have to order it from someplace like ajmadison.com. They currently have it for $1,649.00, so it's a little bit on the expensive side. I've never had any problems during the warranty period either, but this would surely be the one time, wouldn't it??! Well, I still have plenty of time before my remodel to explore other options, if I decide I don't need perfection and want to play it safe! Thanks for your help!
Vicki

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post