HGTV Message Boards
Caulking needs replaced

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2074011632/m/8543949567

Dec 21, 2012, 10:36 AM
mountainbeach
Caulking needs replaced
Our plumber just installed the bathroom sink and caulked it this past summer. This is what the caulking looks like now. Why? What kind do we need to replace it? TIA

Dec 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
conrad
That sure looks bad.
What is the sink made of?
Where is this caulking, and what seam is the caulk actually filling? Is the sink in the lower area, and backsplash upper? (confused)
Dec 21, 2012, 04:45 PM
mountainbeach
The caulking is between the back of a fireclay sink and a vinyl piece of beadboard.

Dec 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
conrad
Not sure what type of caulking was used or why it looks like it is tearing or squeezing out?

I would remove it all, clean the two surfaces well with rubbing alcohol and when dry, tape along both edges and use a white silicone caulk. It can be tricky to apply, but seems far superior to acrylic latex caulk. Especially since neither the sink or the beadboard will ever need painting. (Silicone caulking cannot be painted over)

Small exit hole in the caulking tube to fit to the space to be caulked, and smooth immediately with the back of a plastic spoon, then remove the tape when complete, and there should be clean sharp lines where the caulk strip is left.
Dec 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
metwo
I'm wondering if you are getting some movement of the sink. Does anyone lean on it regularly? Even without realizing it?

Conrad and I disagree on the type of caulk. Silicone caulk is a bear to remove. It would take you hours to get the small area done it you would have to redo the caulk for any reason. I always prefer the latex caulk. But as you can tell, everyone has their personal preference.
Dec 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
conrad
I agree with metwo that silicone caulk is a bear to remove, and would not apply it against a wall that was painted or was likely to be repainted. Paint or other caulk won't stick to it either.

And good point about any movement of the sink. Does it shift or rock at all? Make it solid if it does, before proceeding.

The reason I do like it? If done right and applied neatly to a clean surface, it lasts a whole lot longer than other caulks, at least in my experience. We also have several acrylic/onyx look sinks and counters, and that is what they require (or else discoloration can occur over time). With the vinyl bead board mentioned, I was also thinking this could be a possibility.
Apr 25, 2013, 01:18 AM
Becky42
Bump