Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting glass tile Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello I have a question I have this tile project to do in my kitchen and have everything i need to put the glass and stainless steel tile up.

But I have a concern is there a special tool i need to cut around electical outlets or is it just measuring and cutting pieces with the electric wet saw to make it fit

Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wet saw is the tool.

Regards.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you I been hanging on not during the backsplash because I wasnt sure if I had everything I needed.

Posts: 490 | Registered: Sep 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

The way it works is, you mark the cuts on the face of the tile, and cut to your marks. The inside corners of the cuts will still be attached. Flip the tile over, and extend the cuts on the backside.

You'll notice you can cut a little past where the cuts intersect, without affecting the appearance of the face.

Sometimes, you can't get the cut all the way through at the corners. No problem. Two ways to approach this, and without knowing your material, I can't say which way it will be best. First, as long as the cut is mostly through, and the cutout isn't too close to the edge of the tile, lightly tap the front side of the cutout with a small hammer, until it comes loose. Second, on the front, cut an X across, connecting diagonal corners, and try tapping with hammer. If needed, flip the piece over and extend the X cuts until the piece is loose, or can be tapped out with a hammer.

Regards.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post