Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Need advice on washing machine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on washing machine Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
I think my Whirlpool top-loading washer had finally gone beyond practical repair. It was in the house when my family purchased it in 1975 and who knows how long it was here before that (see photo). The agitator is moving in slow motion and the water will not empty. After the wash cycle, it just sits there, not doing anything but making a loud humming (with intermittent grating) noise. I am debating whether to get a new washer since I have so few loads (maybe 6 to 8) a year to do now that I'm retired, or just take
it to the nearest laundromat and pay $2 a load.

Posts: 594 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can find an inexpensive one someplace. How do you get by on 6-8 loads a yr? Assuming you're a single woman, changing sheets and towels twice monthly that would be 24 loads, not including clothes. Maybe your pastor would know of someone.

Posts: 3102 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I vote:
Go to the laundromat.

Posts: 9596 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
Maybe you change your sheets more frequently. With only me in bed, they don't get very dirty.

Posts: 594 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After buying a new washer, I wish I had tried to get mine repaired. New washers do not put very much water into the machine.

Posts: 304 | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Those are the high efficiency washers that don't use much water. they do still sell the regular washers. I don't like my HE...it has issues. Big Grin

I vote for going to the Laundromat, too for the original poster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7798 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post