Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

kitchen backsplash Sign In/Join 
posted
i have a 9ft kitchen counter in which i want to install a backsplash, both ends are open , meaning there are bare walls.. my question is , where do i start the tile from the end of the counter tops or the end of the cabinets, since the counter tops extend beyond the cabinets i'm unsure where to start.. help!!!

Posts: 2 | Location: ocala,florida | Registered: Nov 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a design that steps back from the edge of the countertop to the cabinet? How much distance are you talking about?

Posts: 7017 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
about 1 and 1/2 inches

Posts: 2 | Location: ocala,florida | Registered: Nov 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
There's no hard/fast rule. If it were me, I'd tape up a piece of paper to stand in for the tile on each of the proposed vertical lines to see what looks best to my eye. I think I'd prefer the tile to line up with the cabinet beneath it instead of lining it up with the counter edge.

Attached is one edge of my tile/counter/upper cab/lower cab/ and abutting paneled wall to show how nothing lines up, yet nothing is jarring to the sensibilities. (This counter is a peninsula and the family room adjoins the other side.) Do what looks best to you!

Posts: 4511 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking, Nettiejay. Is that wood molding or ceramic?

Posts: 7017 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It's wood molding.
In a perfect world, the drywall/tile would have been extended to meet the edge of the counter. The old peninsula consisted of a base cabinet with a breakfast bar countertop overhanging. We didn't use the seating, so I changed it to a base cab plus a wall cab installed back to back to gain more storage. That's how it ended up about 6" wider than the old. Doing all that wallwork didn't seem worth the cost to me. It's a perfect little corner place for that plant, anyway. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4511 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there are upper cabinets, generally you'd make the backsplash as wide as the uppers and bring the ends straight down to wherever they meet the countertop. The picture above shows that's not the way it always works out.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post