Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

under mount sink Sign In/Join 
Picture of Lillymae
posted
I need to replace my kitchen sink which is a normal top of the countertop sink. I would really like an under mount but wondering if this can be done without replacing the countertop???

Posts: 441 | Location: SD | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, no. Remember that the edge of the counter material will show around the edge of the undermount sink. That will be fine for granite, but pretty ugly and not durable for a Formica formed counter. Yes, you can paint the bare edge of the counter, but it is in a bad place to expect it to last.

Also, you need some means of attaching the sink to the underside. Frequently this is with threaded brass inserts.

Posts: 12156 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another option is to tile the counter top and use a cast iron sink that has square corners especially designed to set in flush with tile. Read the tile topic on my website at www.bobf.info for more ideas on this.

Posts: 12156 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post