Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  how to remove black tar mastic from wood subfloor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to remove black tar mastic from wood subfloor Sign In/Join 
posted
The house was built probably 50's or 40's.. I'm sure she'll have the tile tested for asbestotes. Assuming it's not- how do you remove black tarry mastic from a wood subfloor? My sister found linoleum tiles under her carpet. She wants to install laminate flooring. I think it's probably fir floors under the linoleum as the rest of the house is. The tile all kind of cup.. the edges kind of turn up- so she'd like to get it all out before putting in laminate. Seems to be a bad idea to just put down the pad and go over it since it's got all that going on underneath. This is a bedroom but since it involves tile I thought I'd ask here. Thanks.

Posts: 653 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I can see lifting the cupped or loose tiles and disposing of them, but the black adhesive is not very thick, so it may involve more work than what is necessary to remove it? The foam underlayment of the laminate should be fine over anything that is flat and secure to the floor.

Wearing good breathing protection is all that I would be concerned about when lifting the loose tiles.

When I put porcelain tile over a basement concrete, I had to remove and lift adhesive left from the old linoleum. (Necessary since I was mortaring the tile directly to the concrete) I took a sample piece with the adhesive to the paint store or DIY box store (cannot recall which), and they tried a couple different products to find the one that dissolved the mastic/adhesive. But in your case, I believe that total removal of the adhesive should not be necessary.

Posts: 9608 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is black most likely it is "cutback" and will contain asbestos. If the flooring is sound, just as conrad said above you can go right over the top of it.

Good Luck
Jason Smith
http://www.prestigerenovation.com

Good Luck!
Jason Smith
Prestige Renovations
http://www.prestigerenovation.com

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, Various products are available to remove the black tar mastic from wood subfloor. You just purchase the best one which is good for the floor. Use it twice a week, With in a short span of time, You can see the best result.

laminate flooring cost
laminate flooring supplier

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post