Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bath Remodel Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a 5 x 8 bathroom with tub under the window. I plan on putting up the pvc beadboard around the room at 4 ft. height -but have some concerns. I've removed the original marlite and it's left this horrible black glue. I've removed the wallpaper above and the walls need some repair. So my questions are (for starters ;-))
1. Can I leave the old glue and just put on new to install the pvc beadboard?
2. Can I use regular drywall compound to repair the damage to the walls which I plan to paint?
3. I can use regular paint? Would egg shell be okay?
4. Do you think its okay to use pvc beadboard around the tube all the way to the ceiling. I'd like to put in a shower head.
5. I have a window over the tub, which I've seen in lots of pics on here. Can I really still put in shower head? Seal the window (wood frame) with a good paint? Thought I'd put up a regular curtain and then a clear shower curtain over that cut to size.
What do you think? Thanks so veryyyyyyyyyy much.

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: Nov 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would shave off as much of the old adhesive as possible using a 4" wallpaper razor scraper; you can get one at a home center. The aim would be to make the wall smooth enough that the new adhesive would work well. If you nick the drywall a little, don't worry about it.

If the wall around the plastic is damaged, drywall compound will work well. Just be sure to prime it before painting.

I'm not sure what PVC beadboard is. I have many times used FRP (Fiberglass reinforced plastic) for bathroom walls and it is one tough product! It has a pebbly finish. It comes in 4x8 sheets and is probably more expensive than would be PVC. The edge molding for the FRP is vinyl.

And therein lies the problem. Sheet goods need the corners and edges sealed to be effective in a shower. You could seal these edges with caulk as you insert them in the vinyl molding pieces. I have never tried this but it seems like it would work. If you are careful doing this, the caulk should not show.

Yes, if you plan on installing a shower head, do run the plastic to the ceiling, or at least near it.

With sheet plastic around a window you would again have the problem of sealing the edges as you put molding around the window pieces.

Remember that if you cover the window or attempt to seal it, you must have a powered vent in the bathroom to exhaust the moisture. That is a good idea anyway since bathroom tub windows seldom work well, and are not often used.

The only paint that will work well around a shower is oil-based, in whatever sheen you prefer. However, in our bathroom the paint is latex but the bathroom is relatively large and we have no problems with moisture. But realize that we live in a very dry climate. I seldom feel the need to turn on the powered vent, and we never see moisture on the mirror.

Added: Do put your location in your profile as I have done; it is critical to your responses.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Fleming,

Posts: 12156 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the good info. It is AZEK Beadboard which looks just like the regular wood/fiber board but made for high moisture areas.
I'll definitely give the scrapper a try. It was good adhesive - at least 30 years old and the wall is almost solid black from the amount left behind. I had hope to be able to use the window from time to time. So might have to scratch the shower head idea. I cannot afford a new window and clueless on how to proceed with a vent.
I'm in central Ilinois.
Again, thanks so much

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: Nov 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Azek is a bad idea. The product will be okay with the moisture but each seam will allow water through to the wall behind it which will mildew and rot and finally collapse completely.

Posts: 734 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think A bathroom is one of the hardest working space in the home...Furniture is one of the most important thing for perfect bath spaciously wooden furniture is so attractive for luxury bathroom.bathroom cane be given a luxuries look by selected the right bathroom furniture...

All Is Well

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you would be better off using ceramic, porcelain or stone tiles to create the wainscot look you're looking for. The tiles will be grouted and not allow any water seepage. Look for long, tile planks and install them vertically and install a tile moulding at the top and you'll have an interesting wainscot look. A shower at the window is a bad idea. No matter what kind of paint or curtain you use, you're likely to get rot and mildew. Your climate doesn't really have anything to do with this... the moisture from steam of the shower will condense on the trim, sill and sash.

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post