Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  repair or replace this countertop:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

repair or replace this countertop: Sign In/Join 
posted
Can you identify the material used to make this countertop?

Is there such a thing as edge trim on a roll that you can iron on or glue to replace the trim that has peeled off over the years?

or is it cheaper to go to HD or Lowes and buy a replacement piece? Thanks.

Posts: 170 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Apr 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to put new stuff on top and sides they rough it up and glue new laminate down right over the old .It would probably cost around the same as buying a new top .You can get an overlay counter made of composite or granite also .I would just shop around and see which would be cheaper .HD and lowes both have online tools and all you do is measure your counter top and put it in and it will give you an idea what the cost would be for each kind .Your cabinet boxes would have to be in great shape .You could also try places like Ikea as the sell the whole set up for kitchens as a package deal

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That appears to be laminate (Formica) edging. I have never seen it sold in a strip, but you may be able to find it. Try a kitchen shop. To make the repair less visible, peel off the rest of the edging and apply the new on the whole edge.

Consider peeling off the whole edge strip and replacing it with thin wood glued on, something like lattice, about 1/4"x1-1/4". You would have to varnish or paint that, of course. If that idea appeals to you, respond and I can give you more details of the process.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob, I would appreciate your instructions on how to create a thin wood strip to glue on. Interestingly, the tenant suggested I just paint over the damaged area in a matte enamel to match the color (easy enough). Won't look as good but also wouldn't be as noticeable from a distance.

Posts: 170 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Apr 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
where ever they sell just laminate they sell an iron on edging .I bought it for a counter in my basement .Top was in good shape and just wanted it for work table but edge was breaking off and I bought mine at home depot here in VA .Just used my old iron on the hottest setting and they also had a wood edge that ironed on .Glue was activated buy the iron .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can buy wood lattice at a home center in the molding department. I would shape the top edge with a router after it is in place, to give it more interest, but you can use it as-is. To glue it on you would have to sand off the old glue from the laminate as much as practical. With the iron-on laminate edging you could scrape off any excess glue and iron on the new.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your tenant is right. Put a couple of coats of primer on the edge, then paint it with matte enamel. Oil-based is toughest. I did this in one of our apartments after that glue on edging came off a couple of times.

Posts: 1420 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post