HGTV Message Boards
realistic remodel costs

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2074011632/m/7023915367

Oct 01, 2012, 09:58 PM
Piensa
realistic remodel costs
remodeling a 1925 home in Orlando Florida. It has a basement, which is why we fell in love with it. I have seen so wide of a range of costs on HGTV. What is the range for widening an outside exterior concrete wall and (demolishing/with supports)and expanding a kitchen into the dining room. Two walls and nothing else? I've seen huge renovations on some shows(including 3 rooms and restructuring) for 50,000, but then I've read that just a kitchen renovation is anything from 8,000 to 20,000. I know that quality of appliances is a factor, but I just want the 2 wall estimate cost.
Oct 02, 2012, 07:56 AM
16paws
Call a few reputable remodeling firms and see what they quote. We can't tell you what things will cost in your area or if there are other concerns that should be addressed while you are remodeling. When we remodeled our kitchen we didn't realize some of the joists were twisted also we had to have our cabinets redesigned to accommodate water lines that went upstairs, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 16paws,
Oct 02, 2012, 04:24 PM
Bob Fleming
Someone here may be willing to guess at a cost but a local contractor will be able to see the whole situation and bid on it. As a now retired general contractor, you would be amazed at the things that crop up in a remodel once a wall is opened.

Possibly you are not aware that the people responding to questions on these forums are not paid employees of HGTV; we are volunteers who check in to see what is going on.
Oct 03, 2012, 08:24 AM
sissy77
check out contractors regestered with your local building department .I know here they keep a list of ones that have filed for permits and which ones have performed to there standards and the BBB will have lists and names that you can check out .Always get a couple of bids and make sure everything you want is on a list you make up so you are comparing apples to apples .Never sway from the list with each builder and after you find one make sure you check them out with the BBB and make sure everything is in writing and that there are no changes ,changes cost you money .Never pay them upfront ,most times it is in thirds or quarters .I would never pay them the last amount unless it is done right and done on time and passes the building inspection .I also add on the contract a reasonable completion time and if they are not done by that time they get charged a penalty for each day or week over .It is to your advantage and also lets the builder know you mean business .Of course weather may play a factor in that .
Apr 25, 2013, 01:27 AM
Becky42
Bump