HGTV Message Boards
bathtub drain simple question

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2074011632/m/6793938267

Sep 09, 2012, 09:16 AM
GPC2000
bathtub drain simple question
I installed a new bathtub in my master bath. When I bought the place the masterbath had been damaged from a leak. They had stripped the whole thing. all of my plumbing was intact with the exception of the bathtub. There was only a boken end to the drain pipe. I am ready to do the drain but am not sure how to do a drain trap for the tub. Seems to me I would need one but looking at the remains of the old plumbing and what I see in the hardware stores I don't see anything for a tub drain trap. I have one guy at a small store insisting I don't need one. My common sense says I do. A little advice here would be great.
Sep 09, 2012, 07:16 PM
Bob Fleming
I, too, am not sure what the tub drain trap looks like, and I have done work on plumbing drains. I do know you need a riser to the overflow. I'd recommend having a plumber connect the tub drain.
Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 AM
Bob Fleming
Do be aware that there are decent plumbers and then there are the big bill artists.

Example: Several years ago in SoCA I had a clogged kitchen drain. I tried all the tricks I know without success. I called a plumber friend with a powered drain auger and he had it cleared in about 5 minutes and charged me $49. A neighbor told me later that Roto Rooter charges $150 for the same job. I don't touch drain augers; they are expensive to rent and can be dangerous if you don't have experience with one.

You might want to visit a real plumbing store and ask the clerk what you need.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Fleming,
Sep 10, 2012, 01:01 PM
sissy77
traps keep sewer gases from coming back into the house .
Oct 16, 2012, 07:09 AM
Incognito Ainur
I think this is what a tub drain looks like: https://lh6.googleusercontent..../tub_trap_drain1.jpg

I hope you got your plumbing right in place Smile
Apr 25, 2013, 01:25 AM
Becky42
Bump