Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  bathtub drain simple question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bathtub drain simple question Sign In/Join 
posted
I installed a new bathtub in my master bath. When I bought the place the masterbath had been damaged from a leak. They had stripped the whole thing. all of my plumbing was intact with the exception of the bathtub. There was only a boken end to the drain pipe. I am ready to do the drain but am not sure how to do a drain trap for the tub. Seems to me I would need one but looking at the remains of the old plumbing and what I see in the hardware stores I don't see anything for a tub drain trap. I have one guy at a small store insisting I don't need one. My common sense says I do. A little advice here would be great.

Posts: 3 | Location: CA | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, am not sure what the tub drain trap looks like, and I have done work on plumbing drains. I do know you need a riser to the overflow. I'd recommend having a plumber connect the tub drain.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do be aware that there are decent plumbers and then there are the big bill artists.

Example: Several years ago in SoCA I had a clogged kitchen drain. I tried all the tricks I know without success. I called a plumber friend with a powered drain auger and he had it cleared in about 5 minutes and charged me $49. A neighbor told me later that Roto Rooter charges $150 for the same job. I don't touch drain augers; they are expensive to rent and can be dangerous if you don't have experience with one.

You might want to visit a real plumbing store and ask the clerk what you need.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Fleming,

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
traps keep sewer gases from coming back into the house .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incognito Ainur
posted Hide Post
I think this is what a tub drain looks like: https://lh6.googleusercontent..../tub_trap_drain1.jpg

I hope you got your plumbing right in place Smile

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post