Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Cleaning old shower doors & window have soap scum & hard water ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning old shower doors & window have soap scum & hard water ??? Sign In/Join 
posted
my sister is trying to get an older home ready to sell and window and the shower doors are older doors still work but are so hard to clean, have tried everything we can think of,they are glass and have like whites stripes on the outside. what is a really good product for soap scum and hard water stains that will actually clean them well.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: perplexed,

Posts: 864 | Registered: Mar 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vinegar. If you can stand the smell soak a sponge with Undiluted and put it on generously. Let it set for awhile. I would use a green scrubbie to wash off. If you need more scrubbing then add some baking soda to make a paste.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It is an issue with the vertical plane of shower doors. I was able to remove mine, and lay flat over a couple of sawhorses, or just on the floor/ground and level. Then apply the straight vinegar or CLR cleaner. I also put an old sheet over the glass, and that was saturated with the white vinegar, pressed down so it was all in contact with the glass. Draped the whole thing with a plastic tarp to slow evaporation. Left it overnight and the next day, all the hard water film was easy to clean off.

Sams has the gallons of white vinegar very inexpensive and good to keep around for other cleaning tasks too.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Mr. Clean Eraser pads to take off soap scum.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Another thing to use on hard water deposits on glass, is 4 zero steel wool. It will not scratch glass, I use it on auto windshields as well as house windows that get splattered by sprinkler water. In combination with most any glass cleaner, including vinegar it works well...but requires a lot more elbow grease than an overnight vinegar soak.

0000 steel wool is the key here. Anything with less zeros (less fine) might scratch.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks to all of you. Where do I buy the 4 zero steel wool if needed?

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Hardware stores, home building supply stores and paint stores should all have it. Very inexpensive, so cheaper to use and last longer, unlike those Mr clean erasers...at least for this type of job.