Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Washing Machine Water Smell---Help !!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washing Machine Water Smell---Help !!! Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a Maytag top load washing machine, 5 yrs. old. Here in lies my problem. When you open the machine, there is no odor. As soon as you start the water, it smells horrible! We do not get this in any other place in the house. We are on well & septic, but have a water system, & an iron remover. We also add salt to our softener. But as soon as the soap is added, the smell goes away. What could be the problem? I had a service tech out & he found nothing wrong with the machine. Anyone have a clue?? Thx in advance !

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Does the incoming water fill near the top of the drum? Back when I had a top loader there was a sort of gutter around the top edge of the drum, and it could get gunked up with lint/detergent and such. If it was and did not drain properly, the water would sit in there and mildew would form.

See if you can find what I am talking about (and if you have such a place), as sometimes the top of the washer will lift up, giving you access to the drum itself?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you are talking about...but wouldnt the washer smell as soon as you opened it than?? I mean if there was stale water, lint etc.in it. There is no smell what so ever until the water starts flowing into the machine!! than the smell stops as soon as you put in the soap. Like I said, no other water sources in the house have a smell.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking if the area had time to dry out some, maybe not?
Just throwing out ideas here.
No chance of a tainted back flow issue from your well water supply?
The other culprit might be the drain hose itself, or a filter leading to it? It could be that it is partially clogged with lint or other foreign matter, and does not drain completely. When first hit with water, it could release the odor, then it tends to be better once more water with strong, but pleasant detergent odor?
Is yours a Maytag HE top loading washer?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Do you leave the lid open between loads to allow the washer to dry out?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes..it is a Maytag top loader. Yes, I tried leaving the lid open. I will have my hubby look into the drain hose. I have done just a hot water wash with bleach, that didn't help. If we can't find the source, we will live with it. The clothes come out fine, so I am thanful for that. Thx for ur suggestions!

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
yorkies
Is it a HE (High Efficiency) top loader or a regular top loader? Does it have an agitator?

You might try posting at www.handymanwire.com in the appliance bulletin board. Jeff1 over there really knows his stuff about appliances and appliance repairs. He's helped me out several times. Be sure to post the brand, model and serial number.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thx...will look into this site Smile

posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post