Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bead Board in Bathroom Sign In/Join 
Picture of mriley
posted
Does anyone have any info or advice re: installing bead board over ceramic tile? I believe I saw something somewhere about using adhesive to attach the bead board over the tile. I wondered if this was an alternative to tearing the tile off and maybe running into trouble with the wall board underneath.

My bathroom is very small and I am thinking of doing the job myself. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Marylee

Posts: 1492 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17101 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Personally I would remove the tile, if I were you. I would think the bead board would stick out too far to trim easily at the top and the floor areas. Construction adhesive (or whatever you use to glue it) can be rather difficult to control and unforgiving if a mistake is made.

Damaging the wall board by removing the tile would not be such a big problem. The bead board is going to cover the wall anyway? Any deep damage can be easily patched as it is covered over.

If it were drywall, I would probably just cut the drywall with the tile attached and remove it. Then put new drywall up, tape seams, no need to do a fancy smooth finish. If would be possible, you may be able to just attach the bead board to the studs at that point. (depends on other factors like flooring or if a transition can be made if it is just the lower part of the wall)

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Sherry, Thank you for your link. I had searched for the info, but did not have any luck. I did not go to Yahoo. Next time I will go there first. I have saved the website.

Conrad, Thank you for your comments. I will keep your advice in mind before I make a decision on which way to go. I will be working on the bottom half of the walls which is a very small area. Marylee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1492 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If you can get some bead board and try dry fitting it, you may be able to do it with just adhering it to the tile. The big problem I think, will still be trimming/finishing off the top and the bottom to make it look good, and not just glued on?

And if it does not work out, you will only be out the cost of the bead board and adhesive. You can still cut along the top of the tile and pull the whole thing off the wall and start over.Wink

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Ladies, thank you for your support. It is very much appreciated. Marylee