Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  You can undermount a topmount SS kitchen sink
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You can undermount a topmount SS kitchen sink Sign In/Join 
posted
My countertop installer says I can undermount my topmount SS sink

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to?

Posts: 732 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
The reason you'd want to is to save a LOT of money. My undermount was about $650, when the same quality of top mount would've been about $250. There's no logical reason for that big a price difference except company greed.

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Queen, what is the material of the counter top? The edge of the top material will show if you have an undermount sink.

A top mounted SS sink will likely have a SS channel under all four sides for the metal clamps. I'm not sure the existing clamps will work for the under location, and many times they will be rusted, so it is best to replace them.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The topmount stainless sink won't fit closely to the back of the stone at the bowl edge. The caulk line can be huge.

Overhanging the bowl opening will help, but personally, I wouldn't want it. I r&r bad sink caulk all the time, and what ends up trapped behind a big caulk joint becomes really nasty and unsanitary. Sink caulk needs service every so often - it's never permanent.

A thinner gap, starting with clean dry surfaces, filled with high quality 100% mildew resistant silicone, lasts the longest.

Some sinks are better than others for moving from topmount to undermount. Mostly, they're unacceptable. My advice is to make sure you understand how fat the caulk gap will be, and how it will appear, before you make a final choice.

You can put a level, or a straight piece of 2x4 across the rim, and check the clearances, but that's really an inadequate visual check for a final approval. It's only good as an initial check, to see what you're getting into.

To really know how this will look, you can do a mockup from a nice flat piece of plywood. This way, you can model different overhang scenarios, too.

As to the price, there are lots of cheap ss undermount sinks available. To my way of thinking, there's no reason to go to the trouble of undermounting a topmount unit when perfectly reasonably priced alternatives are readily available from most fabricators and discount plumbing supply shops.

Just check out the referrals b4 you buy.

Regards.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil's points are excellent!

Also, if you replace the sink with a new one, you will answer the question of your other post.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post