Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  What size tile should we use.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What size tile should we use. Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi Everyone,
We are giving our two small bathrooms a makeover and I was wondering what size should the tile on the floor be. (The current flooring is Vinyl) These two bathrooms are very small. In a small area should we use small tiles on the floor or large ones or a mixture of both? We will choose a light color for the tiles.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Sep 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the 6" tiles would look good but then that is only my opinion. You do not want to try attention to the floor so avoid multi size and any grout that does not match the tile.

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Small can certainly mean different things to different people, but I would probably go no larger than an 8 inch tile if the bathroom is really small in floor space. Twelve inch can also work, depending on your idea of a small bathroom. I am all for going with the largest that still looks good, and avoid more grout lines.
Diagonal placement layout (visually widens) can work well if the area is either not perfectly square or tends to have a narrow walkway. I also agree with matching the dried grout color to the tile or else going a tiny bit darker (rather than lighter than the tile).
Porcelain floor tile is the best I think, as it is lightly textured to avoid slickness, and very sturdy to avoid cracking like ceramic. You will need a wet saw to cut it however.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Conrad & Metwo

Thanks for your info. These two bathrooms are small The entrance is 31" X 40" and the rest of the bathroom, excluding the tub, is 5' x 6' 8".
Conrad, I am so glad that you mentioned that Porcelain Tile would be the best choice. I thought that Porcelain and Ceramic Tiles were the same! I know better now. Thanks for the tip on diagonal placement. Seeing that these are such small rooms, I think that I will lay out cardboard on the floor to see how it looks.
Thanks again.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Good idea to check the layout on paper/cardboard. Also be sure to keep a few full tiles as spares (just in case of any damage down the road). Under the sink cabinets or linen closet, against a back wall is a good storage spot for these.Wink

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Conrad,

We will definitely keep a few spare tiles, either in the bathroom or in the garage. Unlike paint, they will last for years.

It is strange. but one of the bathrooms seems larger than the other. Maybe it is because one has a window and the other doesn't.

Now I have to figure out what light fixtures to put in.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:

Porcelain floor tile is the best I think, as it is lightly textured to avoid slickness, and very sturdy to avoid cracking like ceramic. You will need a wet saw to cut it however.

Porcelain holds no advantage over ceramic when to comes to things like texture or slickness. Either can be designed/made in various textures. This is a feature of a specific tile design, not what the tile is made of.

If someone is looking for a tile that doesn't get slippery when wet, they should be looking for tiles that are "ADA compliant". The Americans with Disabilities Act has specific guidelines for tile manufacturers to make tiles that are slip resistant.

As far as cracking goes, that's usually more a matter of proper installation. If you install either type of tile with an incomplete mortar bed or a subfloor that flexes, the tiles will crack. Tile is not intended to be load bearing. Any tile needs to be on a proper/sturdy subfloor with the mortar bed fully and evenly holding each tile in place.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The porcelain I chose was colored all the way through from the surface glaze down. That way if something heavy would ever drop (like a glass vase), it would be less likely to chip and show (like a common glazed ceramic tile may).

Although as Jim978 points out, there are different grades of both types, and one does need a good, sturdy non flexing base to apply it to.
A regular tile store (rather than the box stores) can educate you on what types to look for (or avoid) for a good, non slick flooring option of either type. And what prep may be required for the flooring to support it.

posted Hide Post
I consider my bathroom small (7' x 12') and I went from small white tile with gray grout to
Duraceramic tile (Sierra Slate) which is 17" square. I chose not to grout. I already had a good idea what it would look like as I had the same tile in my kitchen before changing it out to cork. I hope you can get an idea of what it looks like from this pic. There is a nice slate stone pattern to it:

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do a layout on paper and see what works. We have a small bath but used 131 x 13 slate tiles on the diagonal. It makes the room look larger. The less grout lines, the less that there is to keep clean and maintain. do visit a tile store, not a big box store and see what can be done. Also, I cannot repeat enough that it is essential to have good underlayment. Tile is not meant to move--it will crack if the subfloor is not properly prepared.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, 16paws and all who have answered my question. We will not be laying the tile ourselves as we don't think that we have the expertise to do a project like this well. The new flooring will probably be laid over the current vinyl flooring. We haven't picked out the flooring yet but while we are thinking of porcelain we could always change our minds. As the bathrooms are so small most of the cost will be in labor.

Thank you again, everybody.