Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets Sign In/Join 
posted
hi there - I recently purchased a used kitchen to replace what we have at the cottage. It has Oak cabinets and I want a white kitchen. Would love opinions on how I should refinish the cabinet doors.
Would you do this as a DIY project and paint them yourself or should I have a pro do it. (I would like them spray painted.)
I've been searching for a service that would do it but haven't had much luck.

Also, i'm not a fan of this counter top. Should I just replace or are there any creative ideas on how to paint (?) that.
the goal is to keep costs down (otherwise I'd be looking at quartz Smile)

Oak Kicthen cabinets

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a good painter that has experience in spraying cabinets. Prep is the key, then a good spray finish. Attempting to do it yourself with out the correct preparation work will end up costing you a lot more in the future than hiring someone with experience doing this. As far as countertops go. Replacing is always your best option. Buy the pieces from the big box stores if needed and assemble yourself.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi
As mentioned by last poster prep is key.Oak can have a lot bleed through if not done properly.Budget is very important when doing any home project but some times trying to save money can cost more in the end.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get someone who knows how to spray them--you will never be able to just use a brush or a roller. I've seen too many kitchens with badly painted cabinets.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
There are good instructions on doing it yourself from "This Old House". Just do a search on there. If you use a product called "Floetrol" it will make your paint much smoother. There is one for oil and one for water based paints. It is a huge job to do it right and takes a lot of patience but it can be done. But if you can afford to have it done by a professional, I would go for it. My friend had table and chairs done by an auto body shop and it turned out great.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rust-o-leum came out with this really great product that allows you to refinish your cabinets and counter top by yourself. It's a kit you buy that transforms ugly counter tops into granite look a likes. They also have a kit for refinishing cabinets. Might be something you want to check out.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of keithglass
posted Hide Post
Hi Aand, I think you should go for a painter. As it is a tedious job to paint oak cabinets. If you go for DIY it may or may not produce the result you want.

THERTASTOREDOTCOM.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: keithglass,

Keith Glass.

Posts: 8 | Location: Hopewell Junction, NY United States | Registered: Oct 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post