Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet Running issue Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, We have a toilet that is located in our upstairs bathroom. Periodically throughout the day the water inside the holding tank will come on for no apparent reason. Can you please help us solve what is causing this issue? I am concerned we are wasting water without realizing it. Thank you for your help.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
More than likely it is the flapper that seals the tank, and lifts up to allow the water out, when you flush. It deteriorates over time and needs periodic replacement to create a good seal again. EASY repair.

If you are unconvinced this is the issue, put some food coloring in the tank, do not flush and check the bowl in a few hours. The bowl water will be tinted by the flapper not sealing well.

Posts: 9612 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you go to find a flapper look for a rubber one instead of plastic. We have had problems with the plastic sealing good.

After you install the flapper (it is an easy DIY) check it with the dye method as Conrad said.

Posts: 7023 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
They are inexpensive, so I always spring for the ones guaranteed longer, usually 5 years. They are often colored red or orange rather than just black and only a couple of dollars more than the cheapest ones. Seems the cheap black ones will degrade quicker and removing them gets this black gunk on your hands too. The chain or strap will need to be adjusted so it lifts with the handle and allows the flapper to seat well without being over long and tangling.

It is helpful to turn off the tank water supply, and make sure the rim of the tank hole is not corroded with mineral deposits (where the flapper seats). A pumice stone can remove them if it is.

Posts: 9612 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the helpful suggestion. We really appreciate it. This message board is very helpful. Murph

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Conrad,
I sprang for the more expensive ones and the darn thing kept getting hung up (open of course) on the tabs on the overflow tube. I put the cheapie rubber ones on it and the problem is gone.

If you use bleach cleaners (1000 flushes) in the tank it will eat away at the rubber parts.

Here is a great site for all things dealing with the porcelain throne http://www.toiletology.com/lazy.shtml

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6942 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are all a little different in design. Some, I have clipped the "ears" off and just slid over the overflow tube, others I clip the "ring" off and hook over the tabs. (This description does not make sense unless one has done a few dozen, Wink)

I also look for the ones with the stainless steel chains, rather than the plastic/rubber straps or plastic chains. Seems I can better adjust them.

On a few I had to resort to the slightly more expensive dial type, where you can adjust the time it stays up, to lengthen/shorten the flush time. Can you tell I have repairing toilets for way too long?Big Grin