Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  How do I adjust amt of water for each flush?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I adjust amt of water for each flush? Sign In/Join 
posted
Bought a new toilet with the new water saver feature three months ago; less water per flush. Guess what? I have had to have my sewer rodded out twice since then. I am thinking that the flow is not strong enough to move the waste all the way to the street sewer. When the toilet flushes, not even half of the water in the tank is used. How do I adjust this?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lombard, IL USA | Registered: Sep 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without knowing the make/model of the toilet there isn't any real way to answer your question. They aren't all the same.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yes, make/model of toilet would help a lot.

Some of the newer toilets are also dual flushers. If you just flush and release the handle, this is for liquid waste, and if you hold the handle down a few more seconds it drains the tank for solid waste.

If you are having issues with your sewer line in the yard to the street, I really doubt it has to do only with your change in toilet?
If it has been a dry year, tree roots can encroach the sewer line, looking for a water source, as well as just a degrading sewer line or other issues.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad beat me to the punch on his response. All of the new toilets have this dual flush feature, so far as I know; some may be better than others.

But you can replace the flapper with a FluidMaster. Some models of the FluidMaster have an adjustable flush time. Also, you can adjust the flush time by fiddling with the length of the chain. Not hard to do this, and it is unlikely you will harm anything by fiddling with the chain.

But do get in the habit of using either a quick flush or a complete flush. It will become second nature after a while.

Posts: 12197 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did not buy a dual flush, but I will try 'fiddling with the chain'. Thank you.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lombard, IL USA | Registered: Sep 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
This might help with the fiddling?:

If the chain/strap has too much slack, it will not lift the flapper high enough to allow a full empty of the tank or it might tangle. If it is too short/tight, it will not allow the flapper to seal well after each flush.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sue, I don't know how you can avoid buying a dual flush toilet these days, although it may not be labeled as such. I believe one brand - maybe American Standard or Kohler - has some sort of dual flush mode that they advertise, but I'm not sure what it does differently.

Posts: 12197 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Bob, might vary as to where you are in the country and what is required locally as to the dual flush? Maybe some just use more water on the longer flush?
I just put one of these Kohler Cimarron, comfort height toilets in a few months ago. It uses 1.28 gpf on every flush. No issues with successful flushing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/KOH...7588969#.UlLsPhBsjms