Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Get rid of whirlpool tub?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get rid of whirlpool tub? Sign In/Join 
posted
When my husband and I retired about 6 years ago, we bought an old (c1915)house to happily putter our lives away in. During inspection, the shower pan had been leaking and the entire floor was rotten. We went overboard in the renovation and added a whirlpool tub, which we had always wanted. Since we are older, getting in and out of the tub is a real problem, not to mention the amount of water needed to fill it; plus it takes up a huge amount of space. Did I mention that now it refuses to turn off? We have to unplug it at the power source instead of using the on/off button. At this point, we would love nothing better than to get rid of it, but I'm afraid that would be a huge expense. We would love to have a smaller tub that would be easy to get in and out of. We are in our 70's and realize the theraputic impact of the tub is no longer appreciated. We never use it now...use the shower (which is small) instead. Any advice?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have another tub in the house, do away with it. In our last house we had a 5 foot shower. Plenty of space for a handicap stool and for someone else to use it that did not need the stool (though it was easy to remove.) that was ideal. Alas, we do not have that now.

If you go with a tub/shower combo be sure to have grab bars installed while they are doing the work. And look for a tub that does not have too tall sides. They do vary a little.

Posts: 6974 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post