Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lighting Sign In/Join 
posted
I am completely remodeling my kitchen. I have the design all planned out. My only problem is lighting. How does one figure out what is the proper lighting and where to put it? I am a DIY person so, no I don't have an architech to tell us where to put lighting.
Thank you in advance if you can help.

Posts: 1 | Location: Pelzer, SC | Registered: Sep 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have worked in many kitchens and my experience is that the builder would put a fluorescent fixture in the center to give general lighting. More recently the builder would install can lights in the center in a uniform pattern to provide general lighting.

Then it is common to put lighting over the sink so you can see what you are doing there. This could be another can light or a hanging fixture of some sort.

If it will be dark under the cabinets you will want low power lighting there. If you will be using an over-range microwave, it will probably have built-in lighting.

This can be a complex subject. You might want to consult a lighting shop to see what kinds of lights are available and what wattage is recommended.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
spend the extra money and go with LED's .i did and well worth the cost .I have been here 8 years and got my lights at discount and changed everything to LED .Outside and inside .Fluorescents flicker and take a long time to come up to full power and LED bulbs have gotten so much cheaper .Just this year got all my outside lights redone and bought LED bulbs at sams club 3 for 18 dollars .They are much brighter and save so much more energy .I just bought all new kitchen stainless steel appliances for my kitchen and they now come with LED's and are much more efficient than the old 8 year old stainless steel and gave my other appliances away .GE fridges now come with a sealed compressor so no cleaning that .I bought a 2 oven electric range as no gas in rural areas .Stainless advantage is it is anti bacterial .I see now the have come out with ice white and black and they show dust and are like magnets for dust and dirt and smudges .But now have seen GE has come out with slate color appliances too .But the new stainless does not show as many prints as the older stuff and now they have so many new cleaners for it .But pledge multi surface is the best .Always after using a glass cook top clean it with the cleaner it keeps things from sticking to it .I have an electric back board for my range no knobs and found micro fiber coths are the best .Just swipe and clean .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sissy77,

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, make it pretty! Seriously, this is something that is overlooked so often. Yes, you need good lighting - I like to use undercounter lighting as well as some incredibly beautiful light fixtures. One client's kitchen I did had a gorgeous chandelier over the island as well as coordinating sconces on the opposite wall lighting a large work surface - can lights over the sink, undercounter lighting and that kitchen can light up beautifully.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did LED strip lights on top of my cabinets besides under them and best thing I did was get rid of those ugly outlets in my back splash and put in under my cabinets plug in strips .This way if you want you can plug in 10 things and no outlets peeking out from your back splash .I have the strips mounted up close to the underside of the cabinet and since they are the lower profile ones you can not see them .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also thinking about LED lighting due to their interior and lighting.. But i have not good experience with LED lights . it seems that LED lighting not prove as the health saver..But now i thinking to visit your site, may be i get some best LED.

All Is Well

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post