Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing a shower pan Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello -
We are expanding a half bath to add a shower stall. I'm trying to determine what size shower pan we can/should use.

The width of the room is 54.5" stud to stud. Our depth is flexible up to about 48". When installing the shower pan, do you build the wall over it? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if we can use a 54" wide shower pan.

Also, if we use a 48" shower pan (which seems to be a standard size) how do we build up to it to take up the extra space?

We'd also like to build a bench into the stall if that makes a difference. The space is fairly tiny, but we realized today that we can move the shower a bit further away from the toilet which helps, although the deeper the shower is the less space we have from the toilet.

Thanks in advance for your insights!!!

Posts: 3 | Location: Wauwatosa, WI  | Registered: May 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
have you looked at pre-formed shower stalls? we found one with 2 seats...but I only use them for shampoo, ect...bought a "medical" bath chair instead...much more comfortable!

Posts: 8538 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the ceramic tile topic on my website at www.bobf.info I give a lot of detail about making a shower base. Not an easy project but reading that will give you some ideas. Certainly a preformed shower base is worth considering, and maybe a preformed shower stall.

In our new home, I am using a shower seat I bought at Home Depot. It can be moved around, is light weight and plenty comfortable, and it is priced right. I highly recommend that approach. Some years ago one daughter bought a teak shower seat. It is pretty, but pretty expensive, and somewhat heavy.

Posts: 12188 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post