Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washing Machines Sign In/Join 
Picture of mermaid01
posted
I need to replace my washing machine and looked at the reviews, etc. online but none of what I looked at seem to be of good quality.

I had a top loading agitator, machine and wanted to replace it with the same. I actually purchased a Kenmore top loading, agitator and it is extremely loud and noisy. Laundry room is off the kitchen and it needs to be quiet if possible!

Don't want the front loading and have mixed thoughts on the non-agitator type since it's not what I had. Don't have kids at home any more so laundry is relatively light.

Is there such a machine that you could recommend?

Regards,

Posts: 76 | Registered: Sep 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I have a newer GE top loader with an "infusor", but they still make several models with a traditional agitator. My machine is very quiet; can't hear the delicate cycle running at all.

I've been pleased with all the GE appliances I've had/have. I used to be pleased with the Whirlpool washers/dishwashers I've had, but no more. They are NOT the same quality they used to be.

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, such machine exists. Like you, I also wanted a washer with no bells or shine colors, and no expensive electronic components that will cost a fortune to replace. And, specially, I wanted a top load washer with agitator.

I researched a lot and I found Speed Queen, a very traditional American brand, known for its commercial laundry machines. They have few residential models, and they are strong and reliable. Also, very important to us, they are made in the USA.

They make 3 basic residential washer models: AWN542, AWN432 and AWN412. We ordered the AWN432, and the matching dryer, they were delivered yesterday, and I am absolutely pleased with their performance.

Here are some websites, if you want to check them:

Speed Queen website: http://www.speedqueen.com/

Some reviews for the model we ordered (scroll the page down to read the reviews):

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Qu...s=speed+queen+washer

This message has been edited. Last edited by: noname123,

Posts: 1283 | Registered: Jan 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mermaid01
posted Hide Post
Nettiejay and noname123: Thank you for your replies and recommendations. I learned that the Sears washers are made by Whirlpool now. Probably why the Sears washers are not what they were at one time.

Nettiejay, I was thinking of looking at the GE models and appreciate the recommendation. Is the "infusor" the model without the agitator?
I'm open to look at the models without the agitator but don't know much about them.

nonname123: Don't think I could find a supplier of the Speed Queen locally, but that was a good suggestion.

Hopefully, I won't be without a washer for too long!

Regards,

posted Hide Post
I have whirlpool front loaders and love the low water use and how quite they are .I bought the duet ones 8 years ago and have not looked back .Since I have well water these work great .I got the service contract but have never had to use it .I don't like top loaders as your clothes are sitting in dirty water .Would I buy them again yes .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mermaid01:
nonname123: Don't think I could find a supplier of the Speed Queen locally, but that was a good suggestion.

mermaid01, you can check if Speed Queen is available at a local store near you at this link, just enter your Zip code: http://www.speedqueen.com/home/en-us/products.aspx

We ordered online, and the best prices were at Appliances Connection and US Appliance. We chose Appliances Connection because the store has a lot more reviews and good coupons. Their delivery was by a freight company, very fast, and we paid $37 for their "White Glove Delivery" to have the washer and dryer placed in my laundry room (the regular delivery is free). If you want to check these online stores, here are the links:

http://www.appliancesconnection.com/

http://www.us-appliance.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: noname123,

Posts: 1283 | Registered: Jan 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have been a Maytag family for a long time; got our first one shortly after getting married over 50 years ago. Our family wore out a couple of them over the years. These have been top loaders and we get along with that just fine; we are on city water. The current one is reasonably quiet; certainly not objectionable in the laundry room next to the kitchen.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mermaid01:
Nettiejay, I was thinking of looking at the GE models and appreciate the recommendation. Is the "infusor" the model without the agitator?
I'm open to look at the models without the agitator but don't know much about them.

What it appears to be is a "short" agitator, but it doesn't move back and forth the same way. (I can't see what how it actually moves, because the machine stops when the lid is up.) But I think it moves the clothes up and down instead of side to side. If you check GE's website, I think there are videos of the operation of this type of machine. When I bought it, I had every intention of getting another agitator-type machine, but the one I ended up with was a clearance model that was priced too good to pass up.

I just replied to another thread on the subject of energy-efficient/water-saving washers. Here's the link to that thread, where you may get additional ideas about what to buy:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4011632/m/5853979267

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mermaid01
posted Hide Post
Everyone! Thank you so much for the feedback on your experiences. I had been happy with the Sears model and why I originally started with it. BUT certainly not what I expected, the noise, the grinding, etc., and not being able to open the lid until the machine has stopped. This is a feature apparently on all machines that cannot be changed - safety issue.

Though the front loading machines seem to have better ratings, the area is too small to accommodate the larger-sized appliance front opening.

I spoke to a friend last night who purchased a new machine a year ago and still doesn't like it. So, I'll check some more but may have to go with the Sears Model afterall.

Regards,

Picture of mermaid01
posted Hide Post
Nettiejay: Just looked at the link you provided and it was interesting and exactly what I had been reading about these HE washers and top loading agitators. It seems you now need to be a chemist or engineer to do the laundry!

I didn't know where to post my question, so appreciate everyone's comments here.

Regards,

posted Hide Post
The top-loading Maytags have been easy to use; even I can figure out how to make them work! We deliberately avoided the top-of-the-line pushbutton model because it seemed complicated.

Ours does stop when you open the lid but you can see enough remaining action to see what was going on. The nice part of that feature is that it starts up again automatically when you close the lid.

Whatever brand you get, these features may be worth shopping for.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
remember to buy the warranty and look at what it costs .I bought a sears dishwasher 2 years ago and got the warranty and so far they have repaired it 4 times and 2 of those times the pump went out and warranty was expensive also at almost 200 dollars for 3 years and now it is making noise again and not cleaning .This was not a cheap dishwasher and was a kenmore model .I got the warranty on my new fridge and range and for 2 appliances it was 79 dollars a piece for 4 years and 1 year from manufacturer and check out through the BBB if there are any complaints on home depots warranty company and the ones that were listed were so minor and all of the comments were that they were resolved .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter what make you go for, just pick one you like and make sure you get the longest parts and labor cover you can find.

Every machine I've ever had has had to be repaired lots of times.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI...
You are right.. There are lots of companies who provide many new model washing machine.. Also there are lots of online shops that have the washing machine and their accessories.I have an experience with 3gorillas.com that have wonderful stands for home appliances...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: schell,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This posting is marvelous and what a fantastic research that you have done.
It has helped me a lot. thank you very much. Feel free to visit my buy portfolio lighting site.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: phyl6058,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post