Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stain or Paint? Sign In/Join 
posted
My master bathroom has white cabinets and I would really like to change the color...I'm thinking black with nickel colored knobs/handles... but should/can I paint them or use a stain...if I paint do I use a interior flat? or can I use a satin finish? or...? any suggestions would be appreciated...

Posts: 9 | Location: georgia | Registered: Jun 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the paint - more options for colors. Make sure to do a thorough cleaning/rinse first, if you need a primer then take a look at zinser1-2-3 (no sanding!). When painting, use a microfiber roller, as it will have the smoothest finish...have fun!

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You will need to prep, prime (tinted) and then apply a great quality enamel paint. Light sanding between all coats.

If you take a drawer or door front to a pro paint store like Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore, they can talk you through the process and recommend the best paint and application. And yes a satin finish is what I would use, as it is often recommended for woodwork/trim in general.

Posts: 9436 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another opinion - from one who has painted many kitchen cabinets - for starters, use an oil primer because it adheres better than a latex primer. I prefer Zinsser's Cover Stain. Then an oil enamel for the top coat; it will last much better than a latex paint in a "wet" room.

You cannot stain anything but bare wood; stain by definition has to penetrate into the wood.

I sand lightly and then wipe down with a liquid deglosser before the primer because it improves adhesion. Don't mess with TSP; it is a form of soap and must be rinsed off thoroughly before you prime. What comes as TSP today is no longer the real thing; it has been "improved".

I've never used a microfiber roller but that sounds like a great idea.

For more on the subject, read the paint topic on my website at www.bobf.info.

Added: You can use a satin or flat finish if you wish, but I would never guarantee it. A gloss finish is the most durable, semi-gloss is next, and flat or satin is least durable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Fleming,

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post