Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade Kitchen Table. Sign In/Join 
posted
My husband and I are getting ready to expand our kitchen. We currently have a counter height table that I love but he had the idea to possibly make one ourselves. As I thought more and more about this I started thinking that it would be really cool to use reclaimed 4x4's for the legs of the table. Then for the top I was thinking of using 4x4 wooden tiles and stain them a dark color. My problem is that I am having problems finding the 4x4 wooden tiles to use. I swear that on one of the home improvement shows that there was a project like this but can't recall which show. Any help on where I can purchase something like this would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4x4 legs may get in the way of your knees. Depends upon the design, so take that into consideration.

I have never seen 4x4 wood tiles for sale anywhere, but you could certainly make your own. You will need a powered mitersaw to cut the blanks and then you will have to glue them to a flat backing surface like a piece of 3/4" plywood. If you want the top flat so glasses won't tip over, you can power sand the tiles after they are glued to the backing.

A couple factors to consider: new or used 4x4s are usually a net of 3-1/2" each direction, and they may not be perfectly square. Also the corners will typically be "eased" or rounded. You may want to run them through a tablesaw to be assured of a uniform dimension and to remove the rounded corners. Otherwise the tiles will have gaps at the corners.

If you use new lumber for the tiles, it will shrink as it dries out. Reclaimed 4x4s might be a good choice for the tiles.

I presume you would apply a poly finish or the like to the tiles so they don't absorb food stains. Be sure to apply the same finish - and the same number of coats - to the underside of the plywood backing so the top will not warp.

Posts: 12156 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the 4x4 legs would be fine but I wonder about the tiles. So many seams. Would crumbs and whatever not catch in them?

Posts: 6741 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point! One could install the wood tiles and then coat the whole surface with the flow-on epoxy, like you see on some restaurant tables.

Posts: 12156 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kitchen Designr
posted Hide Post
4 inch wooden tiles are practically none existent, if they do exist they will most likely come in a 12" x 12" sheet. That said, and to add to Bob's remarks, making them would be pretty easy.

Here's some advice if you choose to make them yourself. Instead of cutting a 4" x 4" post to create tiles you should locate 4" natural hardwood flooring.

With this you can get plenty of choices in grain and color and create an interlocking sheet. I mention that because you want to keep your tiles as tight as possible and unless you're a pro on the miter saw - you'll have a lot of uneven cuts resulting in an uneven layout.

Also using the hardwood flooring will help keep the surface extremely smooth and very durable.

Adding poly is a great way to seal things off but also consider a 1/16" glass or scratch resistant plexi for added protection and to keep the crumbs out.

4 x 4's for legs will work fine. As far as finding reclaimed 4 x 4's, I really don't know right off hand where you will find something like this. However a nice set of cedars would be great, soft enough to antique and great for distressed paint job.

Hope I helped

J

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Being from a truck-driving family...
find a truck yard and ask for 4x4's. They will most likely be oak.

(The drivers have to buy them on the loading end...when they unload they are expected to kick them off with no remuneration - of course you know that they are then collected and sold... My husband would bring them home and cut into lengths for our wood burning stove.)

Posts: 16560 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
This is somewhat in the area you are speaking of, IJIsmom, these tiles were cut by my DH to fit (and fill in) a set in space on this sort of converted to peninsula vintage kitchen cupboard thing. These of course are much larger (I seem to remember about 9 inches) and they get no or little wear. I chose to decoupage them to add some visual interest (and because that is my craft) Is there any reason you have to use 4" tiles? Wooden or ceramic? Wouldn't a plain wood surface be easier to maintain?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12210 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
This is a work bench my DH made me that I would never use (after all what is the matter with his?) anyway I wanted it as a cabinet so tiled the top with ceramic tiles. I left no room for grout as this is just like a table top (no food on it) I could use 4" tiles because they fit perfectly with the bull nosed edging just on the front. Whatever size tiles you decide on make sure the table top is sized appropriately to fit the exact size tile. Why cut when it is not necessary?

Posts: 12210 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post