Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Sewer gas smell in new bathroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sewer gas smell in new bathroom Sign In/Join 
posted
I need help finding the source of a "sewer gas" smell; it seems to come from both sinks in my master bath. The sinks, water supply and drain were replaced in September, 2013, as part of a gut/remodel project. We didn't notice the odor until about February, so I don't think plumbing was improperly installed. I don't see any kind of gunk in the drain. The smell seems to come and go and is not over-powering, but a little goes a long way with that smell! We haven't inspected the plumbing vents yet because we don't want to go on the roof unless absolutely necessary. Please help! I forgot to mention that the sinks are not on the same wall.

~~~~
Blessed be the peacemakers.
=^^=

Posts: 207 | Location: East Texas | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If you added a second sink, guess I would be looking close at that drain line? Make sure the overflow areas on the sinks are clear. Sometimes they can gradually get backed up near the drain, with toothpaste/soaps and can cause intermittent odors. Try pouring off boiling water into a funnel and into the overflow ports to help clear them?

Posts: 9633 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you use both sinks on a regular basis?

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post