Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabinets for kitchen Sign In/Join 
posted
We are planning on building a new home in North Carolina soon and have begun looking at cabinet choices. Looking for opinions on what the current favorites are? I like the cherry with a darker stain and glaze but am concerned that cherry has been overdone and might date the kitchen.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opinion: Dark stain on kitchen cabinets darkens the room. And, yes, cabinet colors/finishes are fads and can date a kitchen. It is hard to beat the time-proven oak, although the stain color can vary.

Our kitchen and bath cabinets are made by Merillat and they have lasted very well, without damage. I believe Aristocraft is another good brand.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you are very rich and can remodel your kitchen every few years stick with the classics. This is a mid-range wood or white.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just remember look at the quality of the cabinets pressed board does not hold up and rta cabinets are made of this or at least most of them are that I have seen .I went with places that said the cabinets are made of plywood and solid wood .Much sturdier and you can also just buy cabinet doors for older style cabinets and change the finish on your boxes if they are in good shape and you like the layout .But with your new home there should and could be cabinet builders in that area that custom build for alot cheaper just to get your job .Most counter top places local may know names of the places .I got a builder local for mine and he was so much cheaper than any cabinet shops i found .He did all my bathroom vanities also .I paid 1500 dollars for oak and thats for a kitchen 10 uppers and 14 lowers and the island so it is not a small kitchen but not large either .He installed also .I looked every where and gas station I stop at told me about him and he is only 3 miles from my home .He was on a back road with just a sign in front that said cabinet shop .My win

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True story: Driving home one late afternoon on the freeway in SoCA I was behind a truck from a local cabinet shop. I think it was Don's cabinets. Sign painted on the back of the truck read something like: Cabinets, kitchen, bath, entertainment, custom. No particleboard!

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really do think because of the economy they are trying harder to get you to go with a local and glad I said something at the gas station .At least they are a rolling advertisement .But still make sure to check references and customer satisfaction .Look at what they are doing in there shop and if they let you visit there shop and show you there quality because if they are good they are willing to brag and show you .My sink base also they did as a bump out cabinet per there suggestion and it gives me room behind the sink .

posted Hide Post
love the story bob and hope he is as good as he says

posted Hide Post
Changing the cabinet doors is a great idea! You can go online or local to get replacement doors, in many woods/styles.

I did this a couple times in SoCA with success. You can measure carefully and order the doors to custom sizes. My experience was that custom sized doors were very inexpensive. One time I learned that at least two home centers ordered the custom doors from the same manufacturer.

One specific case worth mentioning: My daughter wanted a set of custom cabinets for their study, in maple. She agreed to do the finishing, but I just didn't have the time to make the doors. We ordered custom maple doors through Home Depot, and they came out a perfect match to her kitchen cabinet doors.

posted Hide Post
I think it all depends on what state you live in and here in VA it is not very expensive and there are lots of people you can find if you look hard enough and talk to people .It is amazing what you find out by just asking around .

Picture of Elaine_Turner
posted Hide Post
Maple wood is much stronger hence durable. As i have installed maple kitchen cabinets so i can recommend it to you. Talking about the color choices it depends on the color of your walls and flooring. Personally i love white and have kept my walls and flooring white only.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elaine_Turner,

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Sep 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I think white cabinets lend themselves to a warmer, appealing kitchen. I love the deep drawers found in Southern homes. And a walk-in pantry is a must have. I'm not too keen on the designer-type drawers with spaces specific to tasks. Our needs change over time and some of those organizing ideas seem too much like a fad. Think about what you have now, what you have had in the past, and what you don't want. And don't let the home builder talk you into something you don't like.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 415 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post